Question I3-2100 to I7-2600k

Dec 6, 2022
Hello guys,i have a question..my curent processor is an i3 2100 on a fujitsu d3062-a1,can i put in the i7 2600k without worring about the power supply?I mean i have to get another power supply or those 2 processors have the same power consumption?Thanks in advance

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

can i put in the i7 2600k without worring
That actually depends on the motherboard. Often times a prebiuilt system's motherboard will have a blacklist/whitelist or a list of hardware it can and will work with before saying no. Looking at this datasheet;
https://shop.itema-pg.com/userfiles/editor/file/DS_D3062-A.pdf
you should be fine, though I'd make sure that you have the latest BIOS version on(if you can locate BIOS versions for your motherboard, that is).

As you're showing concerns of the power supply, how old is the unit at this point of time? Make and model of your PSU?

those 2 processors have the same power consumption?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ocessor-3m-cache-3-10-ghz/specifications.html
The i7 has a slightly higher TDP rating, which roughly equates to power draw.

Reactions: xCristi
Dec 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

can i put in the i7 2600k without worring
That actually depends on the motherboard. Often times a prebiuilt system's motherboard will have a blacklist/whitelist or a list of hardware it can and will work with before saying no. Looking at this datasheet;
https://shop.itema-pg.com/userfiles/editor/file/DS_D3062-A.pdf
you should be fine, though I'd make sure that you have the latest BIOS version on(if you can locate BIOS versions for your motherboard, that is).

As you're showing concerns of the power supply, how old is the unit at this point of time? Make and model of your PSU?

those 2 processors have the same power consumption?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ocessor-3m-cache-3-10-ghz/specifications.html
The i7 has a slightly higher TDP rating, which roughly equates to power draw.
i have this prebuilt pc for 2 years now and i dont know what my power supply is,is there any way to find out without unpluging the pc and looking ?

Dec 6, 2022
The processors you're inquiring about were released in 2011. The datasheet I linked is dated back in 2012. That's not 2 years ago. You can take the side panel off the case and see what the stickered info says on the PSU.
i meant i bought the pc 2 years ago,i know its very old and thanks for the info,by the way can i put on an gtx 750 ti on the same motherboard i was talking abt,i currently have an gt 630

Dec 6, 2022
The processors you're inquiring about were released in 2011. The datasheet I linked is dated back in 2012. That's not 2 years ago. You can take the side panel off the case and see what the stickered info says on the PSU.
I found something wrote on the psu and it says something abt the output power that is 250w

Lutfij

Titan
I'm going to assume that the PSU is as old as the processor was at launch. Even if the PSU was brand new it's merely 250W, less if you factor in the stickered info is the max it'll go in certain scenarios, then you fall short of the 350W suggested PSU for dropping in a GTX750Ti. My vote on dropping a discrete GPU into a prebuilt that was used as an office machine a decade ago is, no.

Lutfij

Titan
OP, I also forgot to include in my prior post. There are proprietary connectors on the motherboard. You will need a special harness if you want to work with an aftermarket PSU, which probably might not exist. You could also fabricate a harness if you're proficient with wiring, crimping and identifying which wire is which.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@xCristi

will tell a bit more of the story of my backup pc as it might help you decide things. Just like your pc, mine came with a stock 250 watt PSU when I got it second hand from a korean store. It came installed with an i3-2120 cpu and GTX 460 as the GPU. Was actually pleased when I got it, because it was much faster than my ancient Core 2 Quad pc. However, after about just a week of purchase.. noticed that the front USB ports were randomly losing power. For example, a port would be live today, but tomorrow afternoon that same port would not work (lol). Took the pc back to the korean store since it's still under their 3 week warranty for second hand pc's. No serious problems were found, but someone advised me to upgrade the PSU since it's really old (probably a decade old). I purchased a brand new 550 watt Seasonic, and after the new PSU was installed, the problem of the front usb ports went away.

the GTX 750ti is a much stronger gpu than your GT 630. If you could have both an i7-2600k and the 750ti on your pc.. it would allow you a decent 720p with many games. If you're lucky, it could somehow work with your stock 250 Watt psu. But there is also a risk facing the same problems that I experienced (or worse).

Lutfij

Titan
If you're lucky, it could somehow work with your stock 250 Watt psu.
You'd be surprised how many people will not add a grain of salt to that line and take that as substantial advice. There is no luck to be had when the numbers themselves are pointing towards to the parts needing more power than the PSU can output.

OP, is this the form factor to your prebuilt?
3018844794_w700_h500_sistemnyj-blok-fujitsu.jpg

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
yeah, I guess gambling with PSU is not good. The worst I experienced back then, is the front usb ports losing power. But I had the nagging feeling that the problem could spiral into something worse if did not upgrade the stock 250 watt psu, which is the reason why I upgraded after just a week.

OP - it's best to ugrade the PSU first if you want to have a 2600k and the 750ti on your rig.

Lutfij

Titan
My follow up question is, assuming OP has the sff version of the Fujitsu prebuilt, How do you upgrade a PSU that has proprietary connectors and doesn't look like a TFX unit? To add, even if it was a TFX unit, all the good quality units that were in that form factor are now discontinued. If OP has a Fujitsu prebuilt that can accept an ATX PSU, then maybe there's hope with upgrades(which is pointless in 2022) to the GPU as well(outside of the CPU). I wouldn't drop money onto that build, honestly.