I3-2100T or G620T

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Hi all,

I'm updating my HTPC and thought I'd run a couple of the components past the community...a bit stuck with what to choose. The HTPC will be used to stream from my server, where I have DVD and Bluray rips. It'll also be used for occasional online HD viewing (iTunes movies, iPlayer). I don't have / want a tuner, nor is it used for games...it's really just a front-end for my server and for accessing media online.

I'm stuck between choosing an i3-2100T or a G620T. I know I could also get the i3-2100 or the G620 and undervolt them, but for simplicity I'm looking at the 'T' versions. The low TDP is important as I want to either have a low RPM active cooling solution through Speedfan or go with a passive heatblock. The case I'm using has decent cooling so there will be a through-flow of air (Silverstone GD06B). I have an HD6450 discrete card so won't be using onboard graphics.

Budget is £100 GBP, and I'm happy to consider other CPUs if they're of equivalent performance. My priority is a quiet system though, so I don't want a hot chip that will require a lot of cooling. Thanks for the help. :)

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I'd suggest you the normal i3 2100. The stock cooler is the same one as the 2100T. Plus, its cheaper and better than the T version. Its a cool chip so doesnt require a high rpm cooler fan.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks for the response, guys. I went with the G620 chip and a motherboard which allows me to reduce the multiplier. Should be fine for the HTPC. From what I've read, the extras that aren't included with it (but are on the i3-2100) are more important for transcoding, which I wouldn't be doing on it anyway. :)