I3 3110M CPU Ugrade

Feb 18, 2018
Hello Community.

I'm new here and this is my first post.

However i used to read stuff here every time i had an issue with a computer and i must say you guys are amazing.

So now i have some questions of my own.

My girlfriend bought an Acer TravelMate P253-M-33114G50Mnks few years back and now it's a bit outdated and we are trying to upgrade it since the intel I3 3110m it's kinda slow in modern applications. I've been researching based on the socket and power consumption and i found the following two CPU's as fit for the motherboard Intel i5 Core i5-3380M and i7 3632QM. However i'm no expert when it comes to laptops.

So i want to know if the upgrade can be made and if the above two mentions can be used.(especially the i7 since it would increase the laptops life span with a lot). Also will a BIOS update be needed(aida64 shows Insyde EFI v2.21 Bios Date 16.12.2013)?

Your help is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Raul from Romania

Lutfij

Titan
1| Regardless of any updates, it's good practice to update the system BIOS. It'll also come in handy when you want to drop in ram for your upgrade, not just your CPU upgrade.

2| All three processors listed(inclusive of the i3) are all 35W TDP'd parts. You should be good to go!

3| You would get some more life if you swapped the HDD out for an SATA based SSD.

Feb 18, 2018

Thank for the confirmation.

I already added another 4gb RAM stick that i had and also i removed the optical drive and added a caddy with a 128GB ssd.

The only thing that remains to be done is the CPU and i've found a pretty cheap used i7 3632QM and i'm pretty sure i'll buy it.

Reactions: salimira
Oct 16, 2019

Thank for the confirmation.

I already added another 4gb RAM stick that i had and also i removed the optical drive and added a caddy with a 128GB ssd.

The only thing that remains to be done is the CPU and i've found a pretty cheap used i7 3632QM and i'm pretty sure i'll buy it.

please tell me does it worked ??

Dec 14, 2021
Hello botezaturaul

I came upon this forum and I am highly interested in knowing if you experience any difficulties by changing the hard drive on this laptop. I still have it and because it is a bit old I am thinking of upgrading both the RAM memory and Hard drive. However I have read that in order to change the original HDD to a SATA SDD you need an adaptor of some kind. Is this true? Was this your case? would you be so kind to recommend or point me towards the SDD drive that fits this laptop?

Thanks a lot in advance and great forum!