Question I3 3220 with gtx 1050ti bottleneck?

Mastropomodoro

Commendable
BANNED
Jun 16, 2019
I'm sorry to tell you, but as you know that cpu is kinda old and has only 2 cores, you will have bottleneck with basically any GPU. But depends also on the game, for example, GTA will be unplayable because the cpu can't handle it. My suggestion is to change in the near future also the cpu, you can buy used parts and will be ok. Go with a quad core. For example there is the first and second gen ryzen 3, for the price (80$ new) are really good if you are on a budget, so if you buy them used with 60-70$ you should have cpu and mobo.

It takes an i5-7500 to max out a GTX1050Ti...but as 4c/4t CPUs are also feeling the heat lately on the newest games, the i7 appropriate for you is a goal, or, wait to see what R5-3600X brings for $199 (plus a compatible B450 board, which will need a compatible processor to flash it's BIOS, unfortunately)

InvalidError

Titan
It ALWAYS depends on the games, resolution, details, etc.

There ALWAYS is a bottleneck, even with a 2080Ti Super and 9900K overclocked to 5GHz, it just happens to land somewhere beyond the performance most people can be bothered with in most cases.

The only thing that matters in the end is whether the performance you get at the settings you are willing to compromise with in whatever games you play is good enough for you, which tends to vary significantly between people..

Jun 16, 2019
I'm sorry to tell you, but as you know that cpu is kinda old and has only 2 cores, you will have bottleneck with basically any GPU. But depends also on the game, for example, GTA will be unplayable because the cpu can't handle it. My suggestion is to change in the near future also the cpu, you can buy used parts and will be ok. Go with a quad core. For example there is the first and second gen ryzen 3, for the price (80$ new) are really good if you are on a budget, so if you buy them used with 60-70$ you should have cpu and mobo.
GTAV right i had a laptop with i5 2450m Gt540m which ran it fine on low to medium settings i looked at a benchmark site and the i5 2450m performed worse than the i3 3220 and i3 3220 performed better thoughts on this?

Mastropomodoro

Commendable
BANNED
Jun 16, 2019
GTAV right i had a laptop with i5 2450m Gt540m which ran it fine on low to medium settings i looked at a benchmark site and the i5 2450m performed worse than the i3 3220 and i3 3220 performed better thoughts on this?
Sorry i didnt get your question (English is not my first language). Anyway, is totally normal that the i3 is faster. For laptop are normally used underpowered cpus, and also the architecture is different. That i5 does not have 4 cores, is a 2 cores 4 threads, the i3 is the same, but the biggest difference is that the i3 has a higher clock speed, it also needs 55W to run, the i5 35W. Basically if you see "i7" on a laptop it also could be a 2 cores 4 threads (like in my ultrabook), so pay atention.
I did the example of GTA just because for one week I had a pentium (2cores) and a gtx 970. The cpu could not load the textures and I found myself many times into walls, the street or flying :tearsofjoy:.
In your case the i3 should perform better because has 4 threads. But in any case will bottleneck. How I said, a quad core would be perfect for a 1050ti or a 1060