[SOLVED] i3-4130 how long to run at 90%+ usage?

Had a spare system and decided to turn it into an emulator station (so i dont have systems and games taking up a huge footprint in mediaroom).

works fine but some heavy games are pushing it to 90% (even hitting 100%) cpu usage.

was curious to my temps and speccy stated 150~ Fahrenheit. (only like what 70c?). pretty sure its not at a "dangerous" temp, but I was wondering how long should system be ran at that temp?

does it really matter?

Solution
high CPU usage with a deal core?

Pretty standard....

70C is more common with factory coolers, which were price/performance compromises in favor of low cost whenever possible...

As long as they did not overheat/throttle, Intel was happy.

Mind Games

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Had a spare system and decided to turn it into an emulator station (so i dont have systems and games taking up a huge footprint in mediaroom).

works fine but some heavy games are pushing it to 90% (even hitting 100%) cpu usage.

was curious to my temps and speccy stated 150~ Fahrenheit. (only like what 70c?). pretty sure its not at a "dangerous" temp, but I was wondering how long should system be ran at that temp?

does it really matter?

70C isn't terrible at 90-100% load, but keep in mind you are taxing your CPU when running it like this and it will shorten its life. If you can eliminate some processes that are CPU intensive or minimize your graphics settings so your dedicated GPU (do you have one?) can pick up some of the slack on graphically intensive games. If not maybe a better cooling solution or fan setup (dusting does wonders too) can cool that processor down a few degrees.

Edit: I wouldn't go over an hour or two at that temp without having it cooled or ventilated more. You'll know when its had enough when your motherboard trips the heat sensor on the device and shuts your machine down (100C)

high CPU usage with a deal core?

Pretty standard....

70C is more common with factory coolers, which were price/performance compromises in favor of low cost whenever possible...

As long as they did not overheat/throttle, Intel was happy.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Edit: I wouldn't go over an hour or two at that temp without having it cooled or ventilated more. You'll know when its had enough when your motherboard trips the heat sensor on the device and shuts your machine down (100C)

Actually, it probably won't shut off at all, even at ~95C.
I had a friends system (i5-3570k) for a while, it was running at around 95C. The CPU cooler simply wasn't screwed on tight. It didn't shut off, just throttled down.

70C continuous isn't really a problem.

InvalidError

Titan
I ran my i5-3470 at 100% 24/7 for a large chunk of the first three years of its life, still perfectly stable as (still) my main PC today.

CPUs rarely fail unless something else fails first and takes it out along the way, such as a bad PSU killing the motherboard's VRM and zapping the CPU with 12V instead of ~1.2V.