i3 4150 vs A-10 7850k w/ GTX 960

fahlen

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
Currently using a A-10 7850k APU as my CPU. (Stock cooler, OC'd at 4ghz w/ no voltage changes - I don't feel experienced enough yet and don't think I have the cooling period to go above that) w/ a relatively new GTX 960. I was handed down an i3 4150 CPU. I'm wondering if it's worth buying a new mobo to use the i3 over my current APU. (And if anyone can recommend a mobo that has the potential to support a new cpu within 6-12 months) New to Intel chips so not sure if they have changeable sockets between say this i3 and an i5). My price range would be around 80-100$ for the mobo (would buy DDR4 ram if required as well). Right now I'm currently trying to get the best performance within my budget Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, but money is tight. I'm guessing the i3 would output any AMD FM2+ CPUs on the market. Would love some feedback, thanks in advance.

caqde

Distinguished
Based on what I could find it is not worth switching to the i3 based on the fact that the benefits are not really there if it was an i5 I'd say go for it. but what you would end up with is a slower and faster system. Faster in a few games, slower in others. And not by enough to justify the $80+ for the motherboard. The other issue is that the socket haswell is supported on only supports haswell and broadwell.

There will be no new processors for that socket. The current sockets that we know will support new processors in the future are the currently available AMD socket AM4, Intel's Socket 1151 (Skylake/KabyLake ix-6xxx/ix-7xxx desktop chips), and the upcoming Intel HEDT socket using the "x299" chipset.

EDIT:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1497?vs=1192 <- I used the a10-7870K due to the clockspeeds be closer to your overclock. Remember the i3-4150 does not have an unlocked multiplier like the AMD chip and as such is not as easily overclocked.
EDIT 2:
The i3-4330 used the in comparison at anand has the same clockspeeds and cache as the i3-4150 the main difference is integrated IGP in the i3-4150 is slower.

PUBG hates amd chips, you would get much better minimum framerates with the i3.

Just get the cheapest lga1150 motherboard you can find, they will all work with your i3 and will all take an i5 or i7 upgrade. Depending on your current ram you may want to look for one with 4 dimm slots