I3 530 IGP vs 4550

myowaiwin

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
i'm not buying two of these.

for my work pc, i'm using i3 530 stock speed with 4gb ddr3 RAM.

i've 1 spare 4550 ddr3 512mb.

my monitor is 1600 x 900.

and i'm mainly used for office task and internet. no movie watching except some youtube. no blue ray.

sometimes play warcraft 3 which is not an issue with IGP on max resolution on high setting.

so what is the benefit of 4550 over IGP for me and what's IGP over 4550.

plz advice me.

thanks

Solution
Unfortunately I can't really find any benchmarks comparing these GPUs. Most benchmarking sites don't bother doing tests on integrated graphics and really low end video cards. The 4550 sits 3 tiers above the IGP on the first gen i3s, so it is probably at least 30% faster overall, possibly more.

The difference betweeen 1st and 2nd gen i3 IGP varies depending on the model of CPU in question. The i3 2100 has intel HD Graphics 2000, which is probably about 10% faster than the first gen IGP. The i3 2105 has the HD 3000, which is much faster, and is roughly comparable to the 4550 you have.
Since you aren't doing anything graphically intensive, there would be no benefit in adding the HD 4550 card. You might as well stick with your integrated graphics. You would only see a benefit with the 4550 if you plan on playing games that are more graphically demanding than Warcraft 3, or possibly if you wanted to play HD video or BluRay discs, everything else will run just fine on integrated graphics.

myowaiwin

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
i just want to add the card because i can't play CNC General on the i3 graphic.
even G31 chipset can do on low setting.

so, i think 4550 can play CNC general but i want to know is what additional benefit?

and also disadvantages like heat and power comsumption?

myowaiwin

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
also, just for knowledge, i've seen some website saying i3 IGP can play COD4 MW or N4Speed Undercover with medium resolution, is it correct?

and, which one is strong between IGP and 4550 interm of gaming?

thanks

If you do want to play games other than really old stuff like Warcraft 3, the 4550 will perform better than the i3's integrated graphics. The IGP on the first gen i3s does not match even the cheapest video cards sold today. Adding the card will increase power consumption a bit, but not by a whole lot, the 4550 is a pretty low power card. Heat also won't be too much of an issue, as the 4550 is a low end card that doesn't generate too much heat.

Unfortunately I can't really find any benchmarks comparing these GPUs. Most benchmarking sites don't bother doing tests on integrated graphics and really low end video cards. The 4550 sits 3 tiers above the IGP on the first gen i3s, so it is probably at least 30% faster overall, possibly more.

The difference betweeen 1st and 2nd gen i3 IGP varies depending on the model of CPU in question. The i3 2100 has intel HD Graphics 2000, which is probably about 10% faster than the first gen IGP. The i3 2105 has the HD 3000, which is much faster, and is roughly comparable to the 4550 you have.

Solution