[SOLVED] i3 540 or i7 870 for my motherboard?

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017
I've an i3 540 and an i7 870 both. The problem is my motherboard doesn't support turbo boost feature and because of that, my i7 is always stuck at 18 multiplier at 2.93ghz while it can go to 3.6hz with turbo. Its a complete disadvantage to me bcuz i7 runs at just half its strength. So should I use i3 540 or the i7 for gaming? I've a gtx 1050 Ti to pair with it.

I'm using i7 currently and my all games have good fps but also they get many micro stutters which makes me think the cores aren't able to keep up cuz they're running slow. What do you guys suggest?

Solution
Hi, the i3 does have a higher base clock and depending on which games you are playing it may outperform the i7 (namely for games that rely on single-core performance rather than multi-threaded games). However the i7 does have double the amount of cores and threads overall.

Replacing the i7 with the i3, assuming the base clock alone may sound like a good plan, but the rest of your whole system will be considerably less snappier also. I personally would not make the swap as the clock difference is not that great. If anything, should your MoBo allow for overclocking, you can fiddle with numbers that affect your base clock itself and rely on that.

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Hi, the i3 does have a higher base clock and depending on which games you are playing it may outperform the i7 (namely for games that rely on single-core performance rather than multi-threaded games). However the i7 does have double the amount of cores and threads overall.

Replacing the i7 with the i3, assuming the base clock alone may sound like a good plan, but the rest of your whole system will be considerably less snappier also. I personally would not make the swap as the clock difference is not that great. If anything, should your MoBo allow for overclocking, you can fiddle with numbers that affect your base clock itself and rely on that.

Reactions: gamingzone
Solution

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017

that's where the problem lies, my mobo is locked and doesn't even allow more multiplier than 18 and doesn't allow turbo as well. so the i7 always works at lesser speed and lesser multiplier, it can go till 26 multiplier I guess but I'm stuck with 18.

What motherboard do you have? Even gtx 970 and rx 580 will bottleneck before the CPU if you apply overclock of around 4ghz on the i7-870. Your multiplier is locked cause you dont have a "k" model cpu, you still can overclock with the BLCK in the bios settings, however if you tweak voltage settings you need better cooler than the stock one. Im running my i7-875k at 22x185blck since my multiplier is unlocked i dont need to go in the 200blck range.