i3 540 to i7 870 slow?

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017
Ok so I upgraded from i3 540 to i7 870. Cleared CMOS and good to go.

But I saw performance decrease in windows. Like booting time, responses, etc.

Does the i7 870 perform slow than i3 540?

PS: I mainly use my pc for gaming so I'd like to know if I should use my i3 or i7

What you bought was 4 more threads, but no significant increase in single thread performance.
Still, the i7-870 is marginally faster in single thread performance, so the difference in performance cause is likely elsewhere.

Did you have an overclock on the i3-540?
If you did, you lost it with the clear cmos.

I would be inclined to continue with the i7-870 unless your gaming is negatively impacted.

What are the rest of your specs?

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017

There was no overclock, my motherboard doesn't allow overclocking and for the bios update, they give no bios updates.
Motherboard - Zebronics z55
Ram - 8gb ddr3
GPU - Sapphire R7 240 V2 1G GDDR5
HDD - Toshiba 1TB 7200rpm
And yes it's a clean install windows.

That's what the benchmarks say but in fact it's not the truth. It's a clean install windows. Recently I saw a guy having similar issue, the thread was a few years old and they were discussing about the architecture of both the processors which were making the performance change. Now I really don't know if it affects that.

But according to benchmarks, it should improve the performance.

And about the turbo of i7, it never jumps to 3.6ghz, stays at 2.93ghz, dunno why.

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017

yes everything is connected, and I even tried to reconnect. The CPU temp. doesn't go above 70c while gaming, and while idling it is usually around 40c. It's just strange that the boost doesn't work of the i7

WildCard999

Titan

It is odd but one other thing that strikes me as odd is the motherboard, the fact that they don't have a detailed CPU support list and absolutely no drivers or BIOS is quite strange.

A ssd for the C drive will make everything faster.
It will do nothing for the cpu usage.
Good thing is that a ssd can be moved forward to whenever you do a new build.
120gb can work, but it will get filled up quickly.
I recommend a Samsung evo of 240gb.
If 240gb will hold the used parts of your C drive, you can use the free Samsung ssd migration app to move windows and apps.
You can remove large data folders from the calculation of capacity needed.

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017

Don't have a heavy game, but tried csgo and these are the stats.
eRwMt.png

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017

Played far cry 5 which is CPU Intensive. Here are the results
eRDN8.png

TRENDING THREADS