I3 6100 for HTPC

Zimonie

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
So i am in the process of building a HTPC/Plex server for my living room. I want it to draw the least amount of power possible system wise since it will be on 24/7, but also want it to be able to keep up with demands. Main programs it will be running will be KODI, PLEX, and possibly Windows Media Center. I use Plex to DVR OTA signal from HDHomeRun and then stream them to multiple devices in the house. I also will be streaming content out of network when i do travel. For CPU i was thinking i3 6100 but am not sure if there would be a better option for my needs.

Thanks

Solution
The 6100 is a great chip for this. Idle power consumption will be virtually the same on all Skylake CPUs, with only full-load power being different.

The biggest power savings, after choosing a 14nm-based CPU, will be from careful selection of other components. I've seen as much as a 40w difference in power consumption between motherboards, and a platinum-rated power supply helps a lot. Historically MSI boards have had the lowest draw but I'd check reviews before buying one.
The 6100 is a great chip for this. Idle power consumption will be virtually the same on all Skylake CPUs, with only full-load power being different.

The biggest power savings, after choosing a 14nm-based CPU, will be from careful selection of other components. I've seen as much as a 40w difference in power consumption between motherboards, and a platinum-rated power supply helps a lot. Historically MSI boards have had the lowest draw but I'd check reviews before buying one.

Solution