[SOLVED] i3-6100 to i5-6400 Budget System Upgrade

Dec 26, 2018
I am looking to upgrade my current system that is starting to show its age. Now, I am not a hard-core gamer but I do have my favorite games that I enjoy playing (Skyrim SE, GTA 4 & 5, Civ V, the Half-Life series) and I push the game settings till I get down to around the 40fps mark. And I want to be able to get into new games like AC: Origins and the up coming Cyberpunk 2077 with, hopefully, similar results to what I'm experiencing now.

Since the last time I completed a major system upgrade was in the late 90's, I thought I'd get some advice from people that have a more current knowledge base than I have. Here's the system I currently have.

Motherboard: Asus M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100, 3.70Ghz
GPU: Nvidea GeForce GT 730 2GB (Hold your laughter, I already know)
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB (I also have a comparable secondary 1.5GB dive)
Memory: Hynix HMA41GU6AFR8N-TF 1x8GB

And here is what I was thinking of upgrading too:

Motherboard: KEEP THE SAME (the site UserBenchmark.com says it's compatible)
CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 (I know its been superseded by the 7400, but my motherboard isn't compatible)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB (I'm not sure if that's too much card for this system)
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

My budget for this project is $450 to $500 and these upgrades fall in that range. I know I'll need a new power supply, but taking that out of the equation for now, my budget seems intact. And according to the site UserBenchmark.com all the components are compatible.

It seems to me that my RAM would need some attention as well, but if I extend my time frame for this project I can get something like:

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400 C16 2x8GB

But after all of this, a big question pops into my brain, and that is "Am I better off just building a new system?" I mean, I like the idea of upgrading, but over the past few days of research, I have so many model numbers and product numbers and specs and price points flying around in my Bi-Polar brain that I am just at a loss.

I need advice! Whatever you can offer I would greatly appreciate. btw, this is my first form post ever! Hope I laid it out clearly enough
C++:

Solution
Searched for your motherboard and got this
https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/VivoPC-M32CD/HelpDesk_BIOS/
bios 0804 is for kabylake might allow some more cpu options

The money may be better spent on a B360 motherboard and I5 8400 6 core cpu, rather than a 4 core. You can reuse the 2133 until you can afford a 2666 kit

The 1060 6GB is a good card, but does your OEM PSU have a 6 pin cable? A lot of OEM do not.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Searched for your motherboard and got this
https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/VivoPC-M32CD/HelpDesk_BIOS/
bios 0804 is for kabylake might allow some more cpu options

The money may be better spent on a B360 motherboard and I5 8400 6 core cpu, rather than a 4 core. You can reuse the 2133 until you can afford a 2666 kit

The 1060 6GB is a good card, but does your OEM PSU have a 6 pin cable? A lot of OEM do not.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS