i3-6100 vs FX 8320 for productivity! NOT for gaming.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

idontknowwhatcpu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
What can you recommend for a pc, mainly for productive use such as using heavily 10 tabs chrome + skype video call + youtube video running in the background + a few other programs, all at once! Please do not put gaming into your recommendation because it has no importance for me at all.

Thanks! :)

Solution

Yeah, I've got some good help here too so I'm...

dapandaa

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Nice to hear you got all the parts ordered! And many people (including me) are worried about not having enough watts on their build, or just "getting some extra" so when (if) you upgrade you have enough. I was thinking of buying a second GTX 660 when I first bought my parts, and thats why I went with a 630 watt PSU. Technology is progressing so fast, that when I was ready to buy a new GPU, it seemed like a better way to just sold the old one and buy a newer GPU. So basically I have a lot of extra watts on my build just because I had the common "not enough watts" syndrome :D

So even if you would buy 32gb of ram and a good GPU, I would say your 430W is plenty enough. (Not to forget newer stuff usually uses less watts) And the funny thing is, if you calculate your needed wattage (like I did) and it says like 400 watts you're probably never going to use that many watts, because it would mean your cpu, ram, and gpu would all be at 100% load, which is nearly impossible to create with normal situations like gaming etc.

But your parts list look really good so good luck with the build! Just on a side note, I know you said earlier about not wanting anything used, but with the gpu, it's fairly easy to find something newer (like gtx 900 series or 1000) that has been used little to not at all, cuz sometimes people get new GPU's because their old one's broke down while still under warranty.