[SOLVED] I3 6100 vs I5 6500 for windows 7/retro build ?

rochester21

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Hi. I am building a PC for windows 7 and im not sure what cpu i should get for it. The idea is that i want to continue using W7 for another decade since i am happy with it and most of my software is from the 2008-2011 era anyway, including games. The last cpus that support W7 are intel 6th generation, so iil get that. The main purpose will be to build a inexpensive durable windows 7 machine.

So far have ordered a GIGABYTE GA-H110-D3A MB. I know its a mining board, but it was cheap and should last a while because it was designed for mining. Next comes a Bitfenix Neos MiddleTower case and a 500w Seasonic Core GC psu. Ram wise, im just going to get 12 gb of cheap ram(8+4gb). The gpu is a Sapphire R7 240 1gb gdddr5(i know its bad, but for gta V at 720p is enough). A cheap ssd+ a 2 tb hdd will complete the setup. Now i only have to figure out what cpu to get. I3 6100 is a good cpu and i know iil be happy with it, but for $20 more i can get an I5 6500 or 6600. For a lot more, i can buy a I7 6700. Cost aside, i can`t even figure out whether i need a 8 thread cpu. I mean sure, i ocassionally do video encoding+3 tabs+music playback+torrenting, but honestly my current old lenovo t430 with the I5 3320m does a decent job at multitasking, so even the basic I3 6100 should do just fine, but would i see any difference if i spent more for an actual 4 core cpu or even the I7?

Thanks.

Solution
I'd look for a 6700 on sale if at all possible...if you are determined to stay on Win7, for whatever reasons (I preferred Win7 when Win10 was in it's earliest versions 3.5 years ago or whatever, but can not really see any reasons for not jumping to Win10)

The i7's hyperthreading/multithreading will help with several tasks, including many games...

Do not overpay or invest too much in it, as a B450/R5-2600 (or hopefully R5-3600 after some price drops?) would last much longer...

rochester21

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Durable and an OS that is already unsupported seems like crossed purposes.
The Windows 7 support for that board seems good on Gigabytes website.
Thanks, but i am using the same W7 version since 2010 with no updates and no issues what so ever, so i feel confident. Never had any antivirus, never had any virus problems.
Everything works as should. I just want to keep things running this way for as long as possible.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

I'd look for a 6700 on sale if at all possible...if you are determined to stay on Win7, for whatever reasons (I preferred Win7 when Win10 was in it's earliest versions 3.5 years ago or whatever, but can not really see any reasons for not jumping to Win10)

The i7's hyperthreading/multithreading will help with several tasks, including many games...

Do not overpay or invest too much in it, as a B450/R5-2600 (or hopefully R5-3600 after some price drops?) would last much longer...

Solution

kanewolf

Titan

But the Windows 7 support for the H110 is much better than Ryzen. I wouldn't jump to Ryzen without finding others that had successfully used the set of hardware you are thinking about.