Status
Not open for further replies.

computerboi

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
well I would like to know is i3 + radeon 6770 compatible? Is the 6770 the best gpu in $100 category? Can it play games in 1080p? Else what's the minimum graphic card required to play 1080p games? Plz help... Thnx alot...

Solution
Every recent game benchmark I've seen (e.g. BF3, Skyrim) show the game looking pretty darn good even at "Medium," and a HD6770 should be able to play with most settings on "High;" some maybe better, especially if you don't use AA.

r_00n

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
You aren't going to max many recent games @ 1920x1080 with a 6770. I'd go for a 560ti/6950 for 1920x1080 or at least a 6870. Also any GPU will work with any CPU although one may bottleneck the other which isn't the case here.

Every recent game benchmark I've seen (e.g. BF3, Skyrim) show the game looking pretty darn good even at "Medium," and a HD6770 should be able to play with most settings on "High;" some maybe better, especially if you don't use AA.

Solution

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
u wont get good fps at high settings or even medium with 2XAA @1080p on recent games with a 6770. But you could lower ur res. to 1600X900 and adjust ur settings appropriately.

Although imo, one should never get a card lower than an HD 6850 for a 1080p res. these days. The performance increase justifies the price difference easily.

do you already have the cpu? if so then the 6770 is a good card for your budget but I do recommend the 6870 as it is very good price for the performance you get. for about $40 more you get a lot more performance.

if you don't have the cpu yet, a pentium g840 and a 6870 would give much better gaming performance than the i3 and 6770.

I don't know about you but personally having had to live with a low end cpu several times in the past I would take a weaker gpu than having a decent card with a very crappy cpu.

The pentiums are by no means slow. They are very comparible to the i3 except for the hyperthreading. Very fast dual cores are more than enough for people doing everyday tasks. The pentium g850 will probably feel faster than a c2q because of the new architecture and memory interface.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

seconded!

Imo, wats the point of getting dual core pentiums when even i3 seems to be getting very very common these days. plus, i3 has an appreciably better perfromance, which will hold out longer for future games, thus decreasing the need for an upgrade.

And @computerboi, if u dont have the GPU yet, i believe that spending 150$ on a GPU for an i3 is much better than spending 110$ on it and then grudging about it in the future. have committed the same mistake myself in the past.

I would shelve the idea of getting a good card and instead look at an i5 quad. They give very good single threaded performance that dual cores offer but at the same time are better investments if this comp is meant to last for some years. Last thing is needed is being forced to upgrade later with the thought in mind having wasted money before hand. Sure for most apps and what most people do now days which is mostly facebook and checking email while maybe streaming a video or two but down the road those same apps are likely to become very inefficient.

computerboi

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

Yes even I wont like to go anything lower than a i3. I even thought of getting a i5 but that would just take me overbudget. I would rather like to spend a little more on the gpu to go with my cpu. And thanks alot for your help.

so you rather not game at all and stick with a i5 for no reason than getting pentium which is plenty fast for general use and will allow you to get a decent gpu to actually play games?

Do you even know how fast the pentiums are? and how little hyperthreading in the i3 offers?

I got an i5 right now, sure they enough for apps that are still single and dual threaded but I am looking a few years down the line. Most of us can't afford or don't want to build a new comp every year to two years. As for gaming I've managed in the past and survived so nothing new to me plus when it comes to getting a semi decent card I have made my luck on the second hand market.

you can just upgrade to a i5 from a pentium down the line which would give you a much better performance overall...

the pentium will hold for a year or 2 and then you can pop in an i5 later if you feel performance isn't up to par.

If you buy the i5, you will be playing with low fps until you save up for the gpu, which is a lot worse than saving up for the i5 considering you'd actually get gaming performance with an pentium and a decent gpu.

CPUs are powerful enough that you won't be able to tell unless you benchmark but if you try to run a game, you will feel it if your gpu sucks.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Yeah, LGA 1155 offers plenty of upgrade routes, with the ivy bridge launch imminent and maybe some other " __ bridge" in the future, 1155 will do gr8 for an upgrade.

I recommended an i3 coz g860 is available to me only for about 20$ less in my region. So, I wud rather have the strength of an i3 with hyperthreading than get a pentium at -20$. My pld CPU is a pentium 524 @3.06 GHz, which's got HT, and does gr8 for games like bioshock 1 at medium settngs and 720p res.

The pentium wud require a faster upgrade than an i3, and it's not worthwhile to keep spending money for sake of petty upgrades evry year or so. believe it or not, HT has got it's value.

sunnk

Distinguished

yes hd 6770 is compatible with i3 even an hd 6870 is also compatible with it.:)

in my opinion for 1080p you should collect more and get hd 6870 which is a good performer of its price it can play all games on high settings with the resolution of 1080p with some aa like 2xaa and will get about 30-50 fps in games.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.