i3 7100 bottleneck a gtx 1080 ti?

justlikethat424

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
I bought a GTX 1080 ti to mine and get my money back (so I didn't think of my budget), I compromised on the CPU and bought an i3-7100 processor (coz I thought of my budget back then lol), will this GPU bottleneck my CPU, if yes, how bad? I have 8 gigs of ram and 500W PSU

Edit 1: I will play games at 1080p if it bottlenecks, I don't need 4k quality or serious fps

Solution
That is a really unbalanced setup, usually that would be paired with at least an i5 and 16gb of ram. I have no idea how much it will "bottleneck" but I imagine it could be up to 40% depending on game, settings, and resolution (4k you might be fine but I have no idea how system ram would be affected)

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
That is a really unbalanced setup, usually that would be paired with at least an i5 and 16gb of ram. I have no idea how much it will "bottleneck" but I imagine it could be up to 40% depending on game, settings, and resolution (4k you might be fine but I have no idea how system ram would be affected)

Solution
[strike]You should be okay. Good news is that you are on a QUAD CORE i3 that's got a near 4ghz clock speed. So you'll get a bottleneck, but it won't be horrible.

Before anybody screams at me because i'm insane, remember the 1080 Ti launched when Core i5s were only quad cores.[/strike]

EDIT: My memory is horrible, your on a 7100 not 8100 DUUU. Since your i3 is a dual core YES there will be a significant bottleneck, you'll basically get the same amount of fps as a 1070 for the most part at 1080P.

You WILL want to upgrade both your RAM and CPU however. 16GB of RAM (8GB depending on the game most likely won't be enough for ultra settings) and a 550w (recommend at least 600W for me personally) power suppily are needed.