[SOLVED] i3-7100u vs i5-8365u

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I have some questions about these two processors:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...ore-i3-7100u-processor-3m-cache-2-40-ghz.html

The i3 is gen 7. It has a base frequency of 2.4GHz. It has 2-core.
The i5 is gen 8. It has a base frequency of 1.6GHz. It has 4-core.

Does that mean when running applications that perform better based on the clock speed, the older i3 is faster than newer i5?

Solution
What is IIRS? If I run the mini PC on battery for a short time, which is better?

If I Remember Correctly.

Not sure, you might look for some reviews on that. I know the i5 hits a lower clock speed but not sure that would overcome what is basically twice the processor in cores and threads. Can also be very dependent on what battery the laptop is equipped with.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron with the i5-8250u. I cannot make a specific comparison to the one you are asking about. They have the same base frequency at least. With the battery equipped on this one, it will perform office type tasks for ~3 or maybe a bit more hours without going to great lengths as far as "battery saver" mode. I have done basic casting to another...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What is IIRS? If I run the mini PC on battery for a short time, which is better?

If I Remember Correctly.

Not sure, you might look for some reviews on that. I know the i5 hits a lower clock speed but not sure that would overcome what is basically twice the processor in cores and threads. Can also be very dependent on what battery the laptop is equipped with.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron with the i5-8250u. I cannot make a specific comparison to the one you are asking about. They have the same base frequency at least. With the battery equipped on this one, it will perform office type tasks for ~3 or maybe a bit more hours without going to great lengths as far as "battery saver" mode. I have done basic casting to another screen with this one doing video and it lasted about 6 hours.

My single biggest complaint regarding this chip is the design feature to run at and near it's max temperatures while plugged in and performing taxing tasks.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS