Question i3-8100 High CPU usage!!!

Feb 23, 2019
So, I bought a new setup 2 days ago with this specs:
intel i3-8100 Coffee lake
GTX 1050 2GB palit
8GB RAM 2400
PSU:300 watt
Motherboard:ASUS H310 PRIME
After installing fortnite I've noticed using MSI Afterburner that the cpu usage is really high never go below 88% using low settings on every video game settings and btw I have stutters which I don't know why and drop frames!
So after looking for some similar topics which I couldn't find a similar topic with the same cpu, I managed to reinstall the windows and reinstall the drivers, finding that the problem is still the same, I went to youtube to check for the reviews about this specs on fortnite I found that in the reviews they use ultra video settings and they get around 44% no more!!
I really do need to get help on this problem I got some screen shots of the Task Manager cpu usage and the apps runing at the same time with fortnite:
12493x2.png

and here is the msi after burner stats:
2hmg6yr.png

Last edited:
Using low settings makes it worse, as you're driving more work, fps to be rendered, onto the CPU because it's becoming easier and easier for the GPU card to crank them out.

Playing Fortnite with a GTX 1050 you should be able to manage higher settings than that, which should take SOME of the load off the CPU as it will take longer to render frames when the quality settings are higher. Either way though, an i3 is not ideal for gaming with ANY kind of graphics card if you want good performance but I'm sure you realize that already.

Feb 23, 2019
Using low settings makes it worse, as you're driving more work, fps to be rendered, onto the CPU because it's becoming easier and easier for the GPU card to crank them out.

Playing Fortnite with a GTX 1050 you should be able to manage higher settings than that, which should take SOME of the load off the CPU as it will take longer to render frames when the quality settings are higher. Either way though, an i3 is not ideal for gaming with ANY kind of graphics card if you want good performance but I'm sure you realize that already.
Thank you for the replying, I did lock the frames to 60fps noticing that cpu usage got low 55% but having drop frames and stuttering!
What should i do for fixing it?
1 more question is the psu is enough for this specs? "300 watt"

an i3-8100 is merely the equivalent of the older (albeit clocked slightly higher) i5-7600, with but 4 cores and 4 threads...; with any modern game, I'd expect near 100% usage in most every game, in fact....(not 'fixable', as it is the new WIn10 'normal' while gaming)

As pointed out above, you are not helping things by decreasing video settings...might as well run them at least at medium-high for 1080P, which the GTX1050 is capable of...

Reactions: LIVEWORSEi