[SOLVED] i3-8100 + R9 380X good pairing?

Feb 27, 2019
I have already received a hand-me-down R9 380X, so this will be the graphics card I stick with.
I do have a couple of questions about pairing it with a newer generation i3, though.

Would there be any substantial bottleneck? and would this setup be any sort of future proof (ish)? I'd like to think I'm a seasoned 'gamer' and so will most likely push whatever combination of cpu/gpu I have as far as I can.

Also, could this push 1080p games at 100fps+? if so, what kind of games would I be looking at?

Thanks!

Solution
Any modern quad core will more than saturate a few year old GPU....(an i3-8100 is a 4c/4t CPU, so, will be about as challenged as the 7600K on most of the newest games that thrive on more than 4 threads)

Does not mean you 'need' a weaker CPU or a stronger GPU, it's just the condition that exists with that CPU/GPU pairing. Something is always a limiting factor.
Any modern quad core will more than saturate a few year old GPU....(an i3-8100 is a 4c/4t CPU, so, will be about as challenged as the 7600K on most of the newest games that thrive on more than 4 threads)

Does not mean you 'need' a weaker CPU or a stronger GPU, it's just the condition that exists with that CPU/GPU pairing. Something is always a limiting factor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS