i3 8100 Screen flicker/flash

Dec 29, 2018
Hello all,

I just recently did my first PC build and need some advice. Initial build, windows install, and functions/temps have been normal as far as I can tell. One issue though.

The issue:
While browsing the internet via Chrome but mostly while watching Netflix, I am getting a quick screen flicker/flash in the window that I am in. This happens with Nexflix only after I have paused it for a few minutes and then resume my video (hit space bar or click play). The window will flash/flicker but the taskbar at the bottom (such as Type here to search, Windows button, Time/Date, etc.) will remain unchanged. So far only happens in the window either resuming a Netflix video (happens frequently) or at random while browsing the internet (happened about twice now). It only lasts a second and then resumes as normal playback/browsing. I have this PC connected to my TV monitor (Sony Bravia 1080p LCD) via HDMI cable utilizing the integrated graphics in my CPU, I3 8100. One last note, I did once get a nearly completely white screen that I could not get out of, so I had to force a shutdown my holding in power button which did solve that issue. Otherwise, the PC works great. Able to game (Starcraft 2 at reasonable settings), Youtube is fine so far.

What I’ve tried:
Ran every Windows troubleshoot via settings and found no issues. Checked my RAM via Windows Memory Diagnostic and no issues detected. All drivers and Windows updates are up to date. I have not updated BIOS as I have heard that can crash your system. I have F3 BIOS version currently. Uninstalled Chrome and downloaded it fresh. Watched a video that said to unclick Windows error report and problem report and solutions via services under system configuration which I did with no help. Task manager does not show any one service/app taking up unreasonable amounts of resources. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I do not like Microsoft Edge and rather not use it at all. Never had this issue with Netflix or Chrome before. I have until 1/15/19 to return all components to Microcenter.

My build is:
Intel I3 8100
CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX Series 16GB (2PK 8GB) 2.4GHz DDR4
Gigabyte B360M DS3H
Thermaltake v100 case
EVGA 600W 80 plus PSU
Inland 240 GB SSD
No dedicated GPU
Idle temps’ range 21-28 Celsius

Solution
You can update the BIOS anytime, or not at all. It doesn't normally matter when you do it and a lot of people never do it, but they release bios updates for a reason, that reason being they improve the firmware for better compatibility and performance of specific and general hardware configurations, so it's usually a good idea to update to the latest non-Beta version whenever there is one available that is newer than what is currently installed.

Whether the OS has been installed, or any other considerations, are not relevant to when or if you update the bios.

I wouldn't worry about the Intel management engine. Just install the chipset drivers, audio, storage controllers and display drivers.

In fact, for the chipset drivers, I'd...
All drivers are up to date based on WHAT? Windows update?

Have you actually downloaded and installed the motherboard model specific drivers from the motherboard product page?

Have you checked to see that you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

Do you have any display issues at all OTHER than in the browser?

Have you tried installing the K-lite codec pack for Windows 10? Windows 10 lacks MOST video codecs that are used by some of the common video formats, so installing that MIGHT help.

https://www.codecguide.com/

What Windows version are you running?

Dec 29, 2018

Hi there and thanks for the response/help. First I am using legit Windows 10 64 bit. Yes I use the Windows Updates via updates and security in settings and use device manager to check for driver updates outside of what automatically downloads with a fresh install of Windows 10. I was not aware of downloading motherboard specific drivers from Gigabyte. Is it under support tab on their website? Because there are many different choices like Audio, Chipset, SATA, BIOS, Utility and etc. so which do I download? All of them? As far as BIOS goes I am F3 and latest is F11 but it says F11 is optimized for 9th gen core processors. Will it mess something up due to me having a i3 8100? No other display issues as of now, seems isolated to browser. I will try this K-lite codec pack. Would you recommend basic, standard, full on K-lite? Thanks again for your help. I am a noob with this stuff.

ALL of them. For every category, audio, network adapter, storage controllers (SATA), chipset and if you are using integrated graphics, the driver for the display adapter as well, you should download and install the MOST recent available version of the driver in each of those categories.

You should also familiarize yourself with updating the bios by watching some online tutorials or written guides on updating the bios for your motherboard model, or if you can't find one for your specific model, at least for similar B360 Gigabyte models, and once you are sure you are familiar with the process, update the bios to ONLY the latest version as well. No need to update each previous version between the latest version and the version you have now. You only need to update to the latest version. The same goes for the motherboard drivers.

Basic should be fine for the codec pack. You can pretty well just leave all the default settings as they are when given the option during the install as well.

Yes, F11 says optimized for 9th gen processors, but that doesn't matter. That is just so that that motherboard CAN support those newer CPU models in case a person with that motherboard and an older CPU wants to upgrade to a newer one. That version will STILL contain all the other incremental updates that came before.

Dec 29, 2018

Ok thank you very much. I watched a decent amount of videos on updating the BIOS so I will do it once I get some time. I seen one video that the guy (Carey Holzman via YouTube) recommended that you update/flash BIOS right away before installing the OS. Will I be OK to update BIOS even though I have installed the OS and used the computer for about 2 + weeks now? Also, I went to Gigabyte website and had some trouble actually installing the drivers to my PC. For example, I downloaded the INF and installed it easily but when I did the Intel management engine interface it would only put the download in my download file under file explorer. I double clicked it and then extracted it but nothing happened. Tried to browse it manually to update via device manager but it kept saying windows has the best drivers already installed even after I highlight that updated driver via browse and hit next. I had to go into device manager and manually browse my computer to apply the VGA update....is that normal? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm such a darn noob at this stuff! LOL. Thanks again for all your help!

You can update the BIOS anytime, or not at all. It doesn't normally matter when you do it and a lot of people never do it, but they release bios updates for a reason, that reason being they improve the firmware for better compatibility and performance of specific and general hardware configurations, so it's usually a good idea to update to the latest non-Beta version whenever there is one available that is newer than what is currently installed.

Whether the OS has been installed, or any other considerations, are not relevant to when or if you update the bios.

I wouldn't worry about the Intel management engine. Just install the chipset drivers, audio, storage controllers and display drivers.

In fact, for the chipset drivers, I'd recommend that you install these, which are probably even newer than those listed on your motherboard product support page.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28182/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=126380

Solution
Dec 29, 2018

Hey listen, you have been such a huge help! I really appreciate your time! You are a master of this stuff! I installed the VGA driver and it seems to be better for now anyways. Before the VGA driver, I did a test and installed a 1050ti GPU and that also seemed to do the trick as well, so you were right about it being some type of MB driver, VGA probably, needing updated. I will do the others (SATA, Audio, BIOS, chipset via your link) today sometime. May I ask you more questions as they come up? Your very knowledgeable and I can really benefit from your advice. Thanks again my friend.

By the way, should I be downloading the Windows 10 64 bit or Windows 10 64 bit DCH? I have been just doing the non DCH ones so far.