Question i3 8100 vs i5 6400 or i5 7400

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
they have almost the same number of cores and threads but what is the difference?
i might upgrade soon but i dont like to buy 2nd hand parts and its rare to find a same generation of processors
ill just be playing minecraft so i dont need a graphics card and an i7

Reactions: WildCard999

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Actually, they have exactly the same number of cores/threads. 4.

And the i3-8100 will have significantly better performance due to having higher clocks (That i3 has a higher baseline clock speed than the boost speed on the other two) but more importantly, having moderately better IPC (Instructions per clock/cycle)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...tel-i5-6400-vs-Intel-i5-7400/3103vs2578vs2929

IPC explained:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle
what you said i was thinking i just need assurance because i maybe correct or wrong
but at AMD. what CPU i should get over the i3 8100?

How much can you get that i3-8100 for?

If you're not going to be running a discreet graphics card then you probably want a CPU with the best possible integrated graphics and right now for consumer CPUs in the same value conversation as the i3-8100, you're probably looking at the Ryzen 5 3600 which is probably about 80 bucks more than the i3. You could go with an older Ryzen CPU, like the Ryzen 5 2400G, which is about the same price as that i3 and has better graphics.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it's strictly for gaming, at that price, I don't think there's much else I'd even look at except that if he's going to be gaming on strictly integrated graphics then the R5 2400G offers some advantages in that area, since it's the model that HAS integrated graphics.

Last edited:

Notrix

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014
If you are on a tight budget and want to decent performance without any GPU then I would recommend an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Processor, it's integrated Vega 11 GPU can surely deliver satisfactory performance in lesser demanding titles like Minecraft.

Reactions: Lil’bertz
You're right, that is what I meant to type earlier. I don't know why I said R5 2600. Not what I meant. Obviously the rest of the R5 lineup doesn't have integrated graphics. I changed my previous posts to reflect that. Thanks for not saying "hey stupid head, those don't have graphics you idiot". LOL.

Reactions: Lil’bertz

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
If you are on a tight budget and want to decent performance without any GPU then I would recommend an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Processor, it's integrated Vega 11 GPU can surely deliver satisfactory performance in lesser demanding titles like Minecraft.

You're right, that is what I meant to type earlier. I don't know why I said R5 2600. Not what I meant. Obviously the rest of the R5 lineup doesn't have integrated graphics. I changed my previous posts to reflect that. Thanks for not saying "hey stupid head, those don't have graphics you idiot". LOL.

i see... at least i have options to choose thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk