[SOLVED] i3-8130U vs i3-1005G1 base frequencies

yegor99

Honorable
Oct 8, 2017
While choosing & comparing laptops I found 2 great ones for a good price with those CPUs onboard. i3-1005G1 is definitely a better one with 10-15% overall performance and 3200MHz memory support over 2400MHz in i3-8130U, but the thing I notice that 10th gen i3 has base frequency of 1.2GHz, while 8th gen has 2.2Ghz but both has a Turbo Boost frequency of 3.4GHz and TDP of 15W. Why is it so and should I take into consideration the base frequencies?

In my personal expirence on both PC and laptops 90% of the time CPUs are using Turbo Boost technology "freely", only for the battery saver mode maximum CPU usage is limited to 60-80%, but it does not shut it down completely. So I used to pay more attention to the Boost frequencies, but I'm not sure now, since there're lots of new technologies that controls CPU's usage and speed to adapt to the desired working temperatures, fan noise, power consumtion and so on...

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
While choosing & comparing laptops I found 2 great ones for a good price with those CPUs onboard. i3-1005G1 is definitely a better one with 10-15% overall performance and 3200MHz memory support over 2400MHz in i3-8130U, but the thing I notice that 10th gen i3 has base frequency of 1.2GHz, while 8th gen has 2.2Ghz but both has a Turbo Boost frequency of 3.4GHz and TDP of 15W. Why is it so and should I take into consideration the base frequencies?

In my personal expirence on both PC and laptops 90% of the time CPUs are using Turbo Boost technology "freely", only for the battery saver mode maximum CPU usage is limited to 60-80%, but it does not shut it down completely. So I used to pay more attention to the Boost frequencies, but I'm not sure now, since there're lots of new technologies that controls CPU's usage and speed to adapt to the desired working temperatures, fan noise, power consumtion and so on...
The base frequency will only be used when idle. A lower base frequency means longer battery life.

kanewolf

Titan
Solution