i3 9100 vs i5 9400 for graphic design work

ReallyPissedOff

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Hi everyone

First off, please, no offense but i'm dead set between these two so no new suggestions please. With that out of the way;

I'm putting together a new pc and i'm on a very tight budget and i'm an intel fanboy with no shame. I've already compared the gaming performance and for gaming, it's an easy win for i3 for me. i5 gives maybe 15 percent more performance and in turkey, 9100 is 700 liras and 9400 is 1500 liras. (yes, 9400 costs more than double of 9100)

But i'm still tempted by the i5 because there are some times where i keep 3 adobe programs open at the same time (photoshop, illustrator and indesign) and my trusty i5 4460 is beginning to show its age. That's why i was wondering if the added 2 cores of the i5 would help me work faster while keeping all 3 adobe programs open. Strictly 2d work, no 3d rendering and no video rendering. After effects isn't even installed on my computer. Sooo, yeah that about sums it up.

TL, DR
i3 9100 700 turkish liras
i5 9400 1500 turkish liras
Would the added 2 cores of the i5 help me get a considerably better performance while working on 3 adobe programs simultaneously?

RealBeast

Titan
TL, DR
i3 9100 700 turkish liras
i5 9400 1500 turkish liras
Would the added 2 cores of the i5 help me get a considerably better performance while working on 3 adobe programs simultaneously?
Adobe will take advantage of the additional cores, especially running several programs, also a separate scratch disk really helps. But it is a budget issue, you will just take longer to do renders and other tasks with fewer cores.

ReallyPissedOff

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Adobe will take advantage of the additional cores, especially running several programs, also a separate scratch disk really helps. But it is a budget issue, you will just take longer to do renders and other tasks with fewer cores.
Thanks man. I just took a deeper look at the market and it seems that i5 10400 would be much better suited for me but if i buy the 10400, i'll have to buy the cheapest motherboard that there is.

ASUS PRIME B460M-K or MSI B460M PRO

I've got no money left to buy a better mobo if i get 10400...

The key to having many apps open is to have sufficient ram to hold them all.
Past that, photoshop can use ram as workspace to speed up the process.
What did you have in mind?

You realize, I hope that either of the processors named will require a new motherboard.

My guess is that if you are working on three heavy apps at the same time that you can well use more threads.

ReallyPissedOff

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
I will get 16gb of ddr4 ram and yes i'm aware i'll have to buy a new motherboard too and that brings a new question: Do i buy the i5 10400 or not? Because if i buy the 10400, i limit myself to only two motherboards:

ASUS PRIME B460M-K or MSI B460M PRO

Even buying these three components will burn a hole in my turkish pocket... if any of these two motherboards are relieable, then i'm buying the i5 10400 right now :) But i just can't trust the lowest motherboards. I won't overclock or anything but the "no heatsink" part scares me. Do i need a heatsink if i won't even overclock?

ReallyPissedOff

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Yes, you need a HSF in any circumstances. Under idle without a HSF attached, it would shut down in just a minute or two.
No i meant the passive heatsinks around the cpu slot. I already have 212 evo for cpu :D

Sorry i'm not really big on pc tech terms. I meant the heatsinks that cover the mosfets. The only reason i'm reluctant to buy those cheap mothearboards is: they don't have heatsinks on top of mosfets. The other higher priced motherboards have 2 heatsinks. One on top and one on left near I/O. If i don't need these two heatsinks, then i don't need to buy a higher priced motherboard like b460m mortar.

The i5-10400 will come with a perfectly adequate cooler as does all non K suffix processors.
I did not suggest the processor because you were dead set against anything else.
Yes, the B460 motherboard are perfectly fine.

I built a pc for my son using the 8 thread i3-10100 and a B460 motherboard. It is a very quick turbo up. I used an ITX motherboard in a small lian-li pc-02 case with no cooling case fans. No problem at all.
Even a i3-10100 would be faster than the i5-9400 option if budget were an issue.

No i meant the passive heatsinks around the cpu slot. I already have 212 evo for cpu :D

Sorry i'm not really big on pc tech terms. I meant the heatsinks that cover the mosfets. The only reason i'm reluctant to buy those cheap mothearboards is: they don't have heatsinks on top of mosfets. The other higher priced motherboards have 2 heatsinks. One on top and one on left near I/O. If i don't need these two heatsinks, then i don't need to buy a higher priced motherboard like b460m mortar.

Those boards are fine for a locked i5, generally passive airflow will keep the mosfets cool enough.

The asus has a way better vrm setup just looking at board specs.

Reactions: ReallyPissedOff

ReallyPissedOff

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
The i5-10400 will come with a perfectly adequate cooler as does all non K suffix processors.
I did not suggest the processor because you were dead set against anything else.
Yes, the B460 motherboard are perfectly fine.
I built a pc for my son using the 8 thread i3-10100 and a B460 motherboard. It is a very quick turbo up.
even that would be faster than the i5-9400 option if budget were an issue.
Well my overall budget is 3000 liras (at the maximum). Ram already takes 640 liras so i'm left with 2360.
i5 10400: 1550 liras which leaves me with 800 something liras. Msi board is 700 while asus is 850 liras. I'd like to get a msi mortar board but it is 1050 liras. No dice.

Those boards are fine for a locked i5, generally passive airflow will keep the mosfets cool enough.

The asus has a way better vrm setup just looking at board specs.

Yes! This is the answer i'm looking for. I've been a lifelong msi user but yeah, asus seems to have much better vrm layout.

ReallyPissedOff

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
As to which board, if you are using integrated graphics, you might want to pick the asus board, it has a displayport output.
Nope i already have gtx 1060. In fact, i'll be buying the f variant of 10400 so display outputs don't even matter to me. I'm all about vrm. Let's hope asus can gain me as a staying customer for future purchases.

RealBeast

Titan

No, all you need is the 212. (y)

Reactions: ReallyPissedOff