[SOLVED] i3-9100f budget build question

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
What kind of gaming cpu would the i3-9100f make? I need a really low cost build that can play at high settings at 1080p. I already have a RX 570 8GB video card. I considered the Ryzen 3 3200G for slightly more, but video comparisons I watched always show the i3-3100f ahead in fps.
I do not want to overclock.

Solution
I have recently been using an i3 9100F for gaming with the setup in my signature, while my i9 was being RMAed. I was using it for an entire month, so I have plenty experience with it.
The i3 ran a lot of games very well and at surprisingly high framerates, but it did perform poorly in Battlefield V and it didn't deliver an enjoyable gaming experience in that game. It did struggle with a few other titles as well.
I do run games @1440p though, it might help sticking with 1080p, although I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.
I would not really recommend the 9100F for gaming as such, but it performed surprisingly well, so it is not impossibble. However, I don't think it will last long into the future.
A Ryzen CPU would seem like a more...
What kind of gaming cpu would the i3-9100f make? I need a really low cost build that can play at high settings at 1080p. I already have a RX 570 8GB video card. I considered the Ryzen 3 3200G for slightly more, but video comparisons I watched always show the i3-3100f ahead in fps.
I do not want to overclock.
It will be fine for gaming not the best but good enough,if the GPU is far too strong in some games,and it will be in some, you can just put in a FPS limit or use higher settings,to make the GPU be closer to the CPU.

An R5-1600 should be the go to these days, with on sale prices of $79 or so.....

Far superior to the 4c/4t CPUs, where 9100 can tank minimum FPS for most games, nearly all of which do better with more than 4 cores/threads, even or even 6 cores/threads, frankly...

(The 'high settings' portion is more a function of video card competence....get a 1660 /RX580 or above..)

Last edited:
I have recently been using an i3 9100F for gaming with the setup in my signature, while my i9 was being RMAed. I was using it for an entire month, so I have plenty experience with it.
The i3 ran a lot of games very well and at surprisingly high framerates, but it did perform poorly in Battlefield V and it didn't deliver an enjoyable gaming experience in that game. It did struggle with a few other titles as well.
I do run games @1440p though, it might help sticking with 1080p, although I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.
I would not really recommend the 9100F for gaming as such, but it performed surprisingly well, so it is not impossibble. However, I don't think it will last long into the future.
A Ryzen CPU would seem like a more obvious choice though, and I'm sure it would deliver a smoother gaming experience across more titles.

Last edited:
Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
An R5-1600 should be the go to these days, with on sale prices of $79 or so.....

Far superior to the 4c/4t CPUs, where 9100 can tank minimum FPS for most games, nearly all of which do better with more than 4 cores/threads, even or even 6 cores/threads, frankly...

(The 'high settings' portion is more a function of video card competence....get a 1660 /RX580 or above..)
Where did you see a R5 1600 selling for $79 or so? Newegg: $170, Amazon: $140. Heck, the R3 1200 is even more than $79.

The 9100F is an i3, not an i5, but still a very powerfull CPU for the money. But for the month I used one as CPU for my primary gaming PC, I came across titles that were not enjoyable to play using the i3 9100F. There was a ton of games that played very well, but the more recent the title, the worse the gaming experience was in some cases.

The thing was, it did deliver qiute good framerates, but for some reason the FPS weren't displayed in a smooth way in certain titles - Battlefield V being one of the worst. So a few games, even with decent framerates according to RTSS and MSI Afterburner, felt laggy and choppy.

Some games played excellently though, and I had a lot of fun playing some titles on the i3 9100F. Destiny 2 did very well, easily displaying 110+ or more FPS @1440p

But it is already struggeling with certain current titles, so buying a 9100F specefically gor gaming, you're investing in a CPU, which is most likely not going to do well in upcomming AAA titles, so you're kinda already behind on points, and you might as well just begin saving for new hardware the instant the PC has been built.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
If you have to buy mothebroard, ram and cpu, I would really avoid the Core i3 8/9xxx, not worth it.

Even an old Ryzen 5 1600 will be a way better options, been the R5 2600 and 3600 the choices I would make if money allows it to have CPU for a few year ahead.

But not knowing where are you from? and whats your budget? Is imposible to make a clear recommendation build, other than avoid the core i3 all you can!

Cheers!