[SOLVED] I3 9100f + rx 5700 vs r5 1600 + rx 580

ZeyadBB

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
Hello, i have 2 choices of upgrading, since the i3 and the mobo cost about the same as a r5 1600 in my country, i can then get a reference rx 5700 or go with the r5 1600 and a weaker rx 580, both will be paired with 16gb of ram and a 240gb ssd, im going to mainly do gaming and watching movies, im interested in open world games like rdr2 and ac origins/odyssey which then makes the r5 1600 shine, ill not be upgrading for at least 3 years, i also need to mention that i will want to browse or watch a video/stream while gaming, will the i3 be sufficient for that? as ive seen it gets almost 90/100% in games.

Another question about the build, is a 520w s12ii good? I know its enough but ive heard its getting old and is group regulated, or should i go with mwe550 bronze (the old version)? Both of the same price, and no corsair cx series isnt available only the hx or rm series which are expensive as f*ck

Solution
Your choice depends on the characteristics of the games you will play.

If you play fast action shooters, you want the strongest of graphics cards.
That would be the rx5700, rated at 87.5 on tom's gpu hierarchy chart:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
The RX580 is rated at 57.9.
Both are 185w cards which are about the strongest that a 520w psu can support:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
The seasonic seasonic s12ii unit is an old but good unit.
If you might ever want an even stronger graphics card, I think the 620w version would be better.

On the processor, if you will be playing multiplayer games with many participants, that is where the ryzen with 12 threads will shine...
The i3 is not a good choice for those games or your want to multitask. You will be much better off with the 1600 and sacrificing game settings. When a gpu is weak you can reduce game settings to get a better experience, but when a cpu is weak there is little you can do to improve the experience.

Reactions: Rdslw

ZeyadBB

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
I would also go for ryzen combo Especially if you manage to get AF series
As they are Basically 2600 CPU named 1600.

(it means another ~15% better result free of any aditional cost)
Yeah, ive heard about it and saw hw video on it, but it doesnt ship to where iam sadly, and the version available here is the AE and is still more expensive than the i3 + mobo combined

ZeyadBB

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
The i3 is not a good choice for those games or your want to multitask. You will be much better off with the 1600 and sacrificing game settings. When a gpu is weak you can reduce game settings to get a better experience, but when a cpu is weak there is little you can do to improve the experience.
I've seen very demanding game titles like RDR2 and Borderlands 3 in the GPU department, but I'm expecting my next build to last 3+ years, and I don't want for example to run a next gen game on low or medium settings (It would feel like I've done nothing since I already run current gen games on Low/Med with RX 460), but I guess CPU requirements advance as well, so if I get the Ryzen and the 580 would I need to chage both again after 3 years or only the GPU, because if I obt for the i3 combo I would have to change the CPU only (I think) as the 5700 is already a very powerful gpu.

If you might ever want an even stronger graphics card, I think the 620w version would be better.

On the processor, if you will be playing multiplayer games with many participants, that is where the ryzen with 12 threads will shine.
If you play games such as sims, mmo and strategy games, the cpu becomes most important, particularly single thread performance.
The i3-6100f has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 8409. That is when all threads are 100% utilized.
The single thread rating is 2403.

The ryzen5 1600 has 12 threads which is wonderful and a total rating of 12229.
But most games can not make effective use of all those threads.
The single thread rating is less at 1821.

Since you will also be multitasking while gaming, I think the extra threads of ryzen would be better from the cpu point of view.

Either choice will give you plenty of future upgrade options.
Not that I would put much value in that if your upgrade is 3 years out.
In 3 years whatever you buy today will be a bit outdated.

Reactions: King_V and ZeyadBB
Solution

ZeyadBB

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016

On the processor, if you will be playing multiplayer games with many participants, that is where the ryzen with 12 threads will shine.
If you play games such as sims, mmo and strategy games, the cpu becomes most important, particularly single thread performance.
The i3-6100f has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 8409. That is when all threads are 100% utilized.
The single thread rating is 2403.

The ryzen5 1600 has 12 threads which is wonderful and a total rating of 12229.
But most games can not make effective use of all those threads.
The single thread rating is less at 1821.

Since you will also be multitasking while gaming, I think the extra threads of ryzen would be better from the cpu point of view.

Either choice will give you plenty of future upgrade options.
Not that I would put much value in that if your upgrade is 3 years out.
In 3 years whatever you buy today will be a bit outdated.
I think I will go with the Ryzen build since I value multitasking more than frames in games (I only have a 60hz monitor anyways), the single thread performance of the Ryzen is much lower than the i3 than I expected but I guess that games will focus more on multithread perf.

Thanks for clarifying on the PSU matter, I knew it was enough but was worried it would be too old or missing some protection, I will go for what's best today, I think in 3 years time I would be doing an overhaul of the whole PC anyways.