[SOLVED] i3 9100F to i9-9900K a suitable upgrade in the present day?

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
I hope all of you are doing well. :D

I had a question. I have a system running i3-9100F on an AsRock H310CM-HDV motherboard. I was wondering that instead of upgrading to a new system altogether, I could upgrade the processor, so that it could get along well with any High End Graphics Card I might acquire in the future.

However, the argument I thought against this was that it wouldn't really do much because the motherboard (or processor for that matter) doesn't really allow for RAM speeds greater than 2666 MHz, which might not feel that high in the present day.

It is in light of this dilemma that I wished to have your valuable guidance, and I would be grateful to receive any input. :)

P.S. The complete system for context

CPU: i3-9100F
GPU: ASUS Dual RX 580 4GB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-V 16GB DDR4-3000 (8x2)
Motherboard: AsRock H310CM-HDV
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 400V2 (Blue)
Primary Storage: Phantom 240GB 2.5" SSD
Secondary Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 1TB 5400 RPM
PSU: Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze
Case: Cooler Master Masterbox K501L RGB
Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 Dual Band PCI

Last edited:
The ram is not your only concern :O
I don't know how well that mobo and 9900 or 9900k will be understanding each other...
This is the most stripped out mobo i've seen in a while ... paired with high end CPU... nO..
Also the PSU might be fine with this CPU and GPU...but if you go with 9900... Idk... you might start seeing BSOD or other problems...
Just Change both CPU and MOBO.... (Probably PSU also)

Reactions: ArjunY

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
However, the argument I thought against this was that it wouldn't really do much because the motherboard (or processor for that matter) doesn't really allow for RAM speeds greater than 2666 MHz, which might not feel that high in the present day.
Intel's cpus aren't as picky about that.

Either way, this isn't going to work, due to the motherboard and cpu cooler.
They are too weak for that cpu.

I'm not sure I'd call it an upgrade, with how much you could be looking to spend for it all.

Reactions: ArjunY

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: rickypicky5
Solution

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
The ram is not your only concern :O
I don't know how well that mobo and 9900 or 9900k will be understanding each other...
This is the most stripped out mobo i've seen in a while ... paired with high end CPU... nO..
Also the PSU might be fine with this CPU and GPU...but if you go with 9900... Idk... you might start seeing BSOD or other problems...
Just Change both CPU and MOBO.... (Probably PSU also)
Intel's cpus aren't as picky about that.

Either way, this isn't going to work, due to the motherboard and cpu cooler.
They are too weak for that cpu.

I'm not sure I'd call it an upgrade, with how much you could be looking to spend for it all.
AsRock's website says your motherboard is compatible with the i9-9900K (with BIOS P4.10). Having said that, I think the power delivery on that board would struggle to get that CPU to run at stock speeds. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

In that case, what if I choose an i7-9700K instead? Would it still tend to be an issue?

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
9900K = $360

You'll be able to run your memory at 3000Mhz.

11600KF is $5 cheaper at the moment.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($264.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $359.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-30 16:01 EDT-0400

I would've considered that a possibility, but again, my motherboard is compatible with only 8th and 9th generation Intel CPUs.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't trust a 4+1 to an i7-9700k. This is during Intel's not so truthful phase about TDP. 95W after all the boosting is done and it is back down to base clock, before that, 150W is easy to reach.

I suppose you could get some loose heatsinks and glue them to the VRMs, point a fan at them. It would help.

Still.

Passmark score for an i5-10600k and an i7-9700k are within 1% of each other. The 11600K is a step up in single thread performance.

Motherboard I picked out is something like an 8+2 phase design (though I imagine it is just the 4+1 design doubled), still, that divides the load. And they have full heatsink coverage even on the lesser phases. Certainly better boards out there that would let you overclock the CPU, but this one will do well to run the 11600k at stock, and your cooler would need an upgrade for much overclocking consideration.

TRENDING THREADS