Question i3 to an i5, cooler upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Since im planning to go from an i3-2120 to an i5-2400 should i upgrade my cooler as well since the i5 has a 30W higher TDP. The system is a HP Compaq 6200 pro sff running only one fan stright to the cpu. It keep the i3 at round 60 - 70 degress celcius would that same cooler be enough for the i5 to keep itself from throtling?

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
k ivr found a photo of the fan from the normal size version of the and the model numbers are the same between that and mine how do i upload so it can be viewed here

Because if you give someone fish they eat for a day; teach them to fish and they fish for a lifetime.

The documentation for pre-builts is plentiful and easily accessible. If someone doesn't want to read and comprehend those docs when given specific instructions, they will generally fail with an upgrade because there are details to pay attention to. If not, another pre-built janked up or ruined...

that helped actually thanks didn't know some of the models had course fan, why didn't he do this before tho 🤔
Because looking at the parts with prebuilts isn't enough as identical parts can have different engineering specs. If you don't want to look it up to get the proper parts, then you may face issues that you can then ask forever and never get right answers because no one will be able to tell that your parts were wrong.

If you followed what I outlined, you'll be fine. Find your HP model number (usually ends in ABA) and look it up on the hp partsurfer web site. That will list every single part that was used in your system. Check the coolers section and see the part numbers available. If there's one, great--you can simply swap processors and should be fine. If there are two, you will need to find out which one you have and will probably need to get the other one for proper cooling. You can still do the swap now, but will need to set the fans to 100% in the bios for proper cooling until you get the proper cooler. Once you do, swap the coolers, change the bios fan setting back and that's it.

Post a pick of your fan if you would.

Some people just try to skip way ahead and say yes no problem where that might be true and might not be.
Pics aren't going to get the right cooling for this system--the right HP part number will, and that should be on the cooler somewhere and the fan, but those will also be separate part numbers. The cooler assembly part number will probably be different and may not be on the fan and/or cooler.

I've done these type of upgrades 100x times and it's amazing that everyone here who has no real clue on what to do is giving the wrong advice.

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Because if you give someone fish they eat for a day; teach them to fish and they fish for a lifetime.

The documentation for pre-builts is plentiful and easily accessible. If someone doesn't want to read and comprehend those docs when given specific instructions, they will generally fail with an upgrade because there are details to pay attention to. If not, another pre-built janked up or ruined...
yeh janking things was never a problem to me when attemping to put a better cpu in my pc thats a pre built you cant really not jank that tbh

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Because looking at the parts with prebuilts isn't enough as identical parts can have different engineering specs. If you don't want to look it up to get the proper parts, then you may face issues that you can then ask forever and never get right answers because no one will be able to tell that your parts were wrong.

If you followed what I outlined, you'll be fine. Find your HP model number (usually ends in ABA) and look it up on the hp partsurfer web site. That will list every single part that was used in your system. Check the coolers section and see the part numbers available. If there's one, great--you can simply swap processors and should be fine. If there are two, you will need to find out which one you have and will probably need to get the other one for proper cooling. You can still do the swap now, but will need to set the fans to 100% in the bios for proper cooling until you get the proper cooler. Once you do, swap the coolers, change the bios fan setting back and that's it.
i was hoping to not use the bios if possible coz i had fan tuning software in case i needed to ever jack up the vaules since i either cant find the correct key on my keyboard as its not a full size one or im very dumb

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Pics aren't going to get the right cooling for this system--the right HP part number will, and that should be on the cooler somewhere and the fan, but those will also be separate part numbers. The cooler assembly part number will probably be different and may not be on the fan and/or cooler.

I've done these type of upgrades 100x times and it's amazing that everyone here who has no real clue on what to do is giving the wrong advice.
if you looked i did post earlier its annoying to disammble then put it together again as it takes a while and i am off and on using it, its not a project pc its my all time use one