Question i3 to an i5, cooler upgrade

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Since im planning to go from an i3-2120 to an i5-2400 should i upgrade my cooler as well since the i5 has a 30W higher TDP. The system is a HP Compaq 6200 pro sff running only one fan stright to the cpu. It keep the i3 at round 60 - 70 degress celcius would that same cooler be enough for the i5 to keep itself from throtling?

It depends on if HP used a single cooler for that model or had a different cooler for models that had the i5/i7. I would put my hp part number in hp's partsurfer and check all the part numbers for the cooler and see if they are different and what you have installed. Even if you have to change it, a used one on ebay is usually under $10 shipped on ebay.

The other thing you can do that will probably work is to just set the fan to 100% in the bios. I've been able to install 95w processors under 65w heatsinks many times doing this.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Before you decide you may want to verify that the cooler is swappable.

I appreciate that down vote, to whomever did so.

The reason I say this is due to the fact that:

1 it's an SFF system. There well may be a height limitation that keeps it from being bigger

2 HP is known for using weird proprietary parts, so an aftermarket low profile unit may not fit.

Aside from that, it would be a good idea to look and make sure the motherboard can take the swap/is the same of a higher spec'ed model, if such existed.
SFF form factors aren't really designed with upgrading and changing parts in mind. Sorry to have disturbed someone's sensibilities about it.

Reactions: WS1995

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
I am not sure if they used differnt coolers a google serach resulted in nothing the pdf manual i could find said nothing about so i have no idea if thry were changed

I appreciate that down vote, to whomever did so.

The reason I say this is due to the fact that:

1 it's an SFF system. There well may be a height limitation that keeps it from being bigger

2 HP is known for using weird proprietary parts, so an aftermarket low profile unit may not fit.

Aside from that, it would be a good idea to look and make sure the motherboard can take the swap/is the same of a higher spec'ed model, if such existed.
SFF form factors aren't really designed with upgrading and changing parts in mind. Sorry to have disturbed someone's sensibilities about it.
The information you posted is bordering on completely wrong, hence the down. I usually never do this, but was compelled since the OP would waste a lot of time on your points.

1. It's an HP SFF--it's proprietary and HP and HP is all the parts that will fit, period.

2. Nothing aftermarket will work as well as HP parts so it's not even worth bringing it up.

The spec sheets for these clearly state what processors they can take and they can quite often go beyond the specs. This knowledge only comes from working on these type of machines and knowing this stuff.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am not sure if they used differnt coolers a google serach resulted in nothing the pdf manual i could find said nothing about so i have no idea if thry were changed

I did a search and came up with this:

HP Compaq 6200 Pro Small Form Factor PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

• Intel Core i7-2600 (3.40 GHz, 8MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Intel Core i5-2500 (3.30 GHz, 6MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Intel Core i5-2400 (3.10 GHz, 6MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Intel Core i3-2120 (3.30 GHz, 3MB cache, 2 cores)
  • Intel Core i3-2100 (3.10 GHz, 3MB cache, 2 cores)
the specs do not list another motherboard. You will have to do some sleuth work to be sure the cooler wasn't different as it just says 92mm variable speed. I do note that they spec'ed two different power supplies for them.

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Hmm alright then since i know the psu can take it should i see what happens if i swap it in as there is a another i5 i own, just a slightly higher clocked one thr i5 2500. would this be a bad idea to test it or wait for my 2400

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
I did a search and came up with this:

HP Compaq 6200 Pro Small Form Factor PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

• Intel Core i7-2600 (3.40 GHz, 8MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Intel Core i5-2500 (3.30 GHz, 6MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Intel Core i5-2400 (3.10 GHz, 6MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Intel Core i3-2120 (3.30 GHz, 3MB cache, 2 cores)
  • Intel Core i3-2100 (3.10 GHz, 3MB cache, 2 cores)
the specs do not list another motherboard. You will have to do some sleuth work to be sure the cooler wasn't different as it just says 92mm variable speed. I do note that they spec'ed two different power supplies for them.
where it says "varaible speed" does it statte what speed for what cpu

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The information you posted is bordering on completely wrong, hence the down. I usually never do this, but was compelled since the OP would waste a lot of time on your points.

1. It's an HP SFF--it's proprietary and HP and HP is all the parts that will fit, period.

2. Nothing aftermarket will work as well as HP parts so it's not even worth bringing it up.

The spec sheets for these clearly state what processors they can take and they can quite often go beyond the specs. This knowledge only comes from working on these type of machines and knowing this stuff.

If you take a look at the link provided in my above post you will note that they only fan spec'ed is "92mm variable speed" in spite of the various CPU listed. So, it appears that the answer to the question "upgrade cooler" and my answer to "check if it can be swapped" is valid.
So perhaps before you downvote someone because you feel compelled, you should go look too.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
where it says "varaible speed" does it statte what speed for what cpu

Basically all CPU fans are variable speed, so it would appear they are using one size fits all for this application.

Being Intel and the fact that their fan mount hasn't changed in years you may find that it's on standard push pin spacing like the LGA 1155. If so, you could probably look to something like the Noctua or other low profile fans that fit that spacing. The only way to be sure would be to actually measure the cooler/compare while you are swapping the CPU.

Joey27R

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Basically all CPU fans are variable speed, so it would appear they are using one size fits all for this application.

Being Intel and the fact that their fan mount hasn't changed in years you may find that it's on standard push pin spacing like the LGA 1155. If so, you could probably look to something like the Noctua or other low profile fans that fit that spacing. The only way to be sure would be to actually measure the cooler/compare while you are swapping the CPU.
that makes sense then so would a reasonable explanation
Please note that that model of HP only came with two variants of the same wattage PSU, one of which is Gold rated. It would appear that issue is, well, a non issue.
no not at all psu has been working fine for at least my 2 years of ownership

If you take a look at the link provided in my above post you will note that they only fan spec'ed is "92mm variable speed" in spite of the various CPU listed. So, it appears that the answer to the question "upgrade cooler" and my answer to "check if it can be swapped" is valid.
So perhaps before you downvote someone because you feel compelled, you should go look too.
You don't get how these systems work. They have their own proprietary cooling system, with its own HP part number. Each HP system does this. And sometimes it varies between processors as a cost savings method since a lower tdp doesn't need as much heatsink to cool.

So as I posted, it's as simple as finding out if there are more than one cooler design/HP part number for the cooler, figuring which one OP has and then going from there, possibling getting a used one from ebay if a different part number is required. None of the fan specs, 92mm variable speed or anything would matter.

These systems are NOT like your normal PC that uses industry standard parts. I've worked with enough of these to know exactly what to do for upgrades.

This is terrible advice. You will never find anything that will fit properly and will disrupt the HP design for cooling. You need an HP part to upgrade if an upgrade is necessary.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Jesus, what a waste of time. I posted how to look up this in 5 minutes and get all the answers you need. :rolleyes:
5 Minutes then look it up for him!

This is what you can run into on HP's images of the same model number !!
https://refurbit.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/HP_Compaq_6200_Pro_SFF_PC_4-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat