Question I3 vs amd phenom

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
So i need some help. i built a gaming pc here da specs. Cooler master silencio 652. 8gb g skill ram dual channel gigabyte gtx 760 windforce amd phenom ii x4 and a asus mobo for am3 i got a free dell vostro 270 and it has a i3 3220 i think at 3.30 ghz Is the i3 better than amd phenom? if so should i transfer all parts from dell( besides my cx650m and sata stuff) to my cooler master? case? or put a video card in the dell,

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on which Phenom II X4 you have. If your Phenom II X4 is @ 3.6 GHz or better, it is about equal in performance to the i3-3220.

Another issue would be transferring the Dell motherboard to a retail build is probably not going to be feasible. Dell uses proprietary connections that the retail boards and cases do not have.

If the vostro is a MT and not sff, it should fit in an atx case no prob, and amazingly, it seems the front panel connections, though still proprietary, can still be plugged in with individual power button cable, as per link. Though you may have to press f1 on every boot up, who knows. I'd stick with the stock case tbh, though the cooling would be poor with only one 80mm exhaust fan.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the Dell has at least a 300W PSU, you could pick up a GTX 1050 Ti for it (no 6-pin). The GTX 1050 Ti is a tad stronger than the older GTX 760. And twice the VRAM. But as I said above, unless the Phenom is slower than 3.6GHz, there won't be much difference. In which case, might as well stay with the Phenom/GTX 760.