Question i5-10210U throttle issues

Feb 5, 2021
I have a relatively new Lenovo X13 with an i5-10210U @ 1.6GHz processor. For some reason it seems to get 'stuck' at low a clock speed, where it will hover around 0.4-0.8GHz for a long time. It usually happens when I'm on a zoom call and it's not doing anything overly strenuous. The problem is that the performance is so limited that it becomes unusable for several minutes. Audio and video in/out gets very choppy, and it never fails to happen at the worst times...

I don't know if it's related, but when it happens the following sensor limits are all active:
IA-Package-Level RAPL PL1
GT-Pakcage-Level RAPL PL1
GT-Inefficient Operation

Each of those will become active / then inactive at times, but it seems like all three are active when it gets "stuck" at the low frequency. Once it is stuck, it seems to just take time before it comes out of it. Temps all look ok and I can quit all open programs, and it can still take several minutes to return to normal.

Any idea what may be causing it? Are there settings I can put in place to prevent it?
Thanks for any help!

Install all drivers from the Lenovo support homepage and not from the chip manufacturers.
Eventually update the BIOS of it.

Is the problem occuring while it is connected with a charger or while on battery or both?

check the power plan, is it set to balanced? try high performance

Feb 5, 2021
I am up to date on Lenovo drivers.

So far, the issue has only happened when the laptop is on the dock. I will try to see if it will happen with or without charger, but without the dock.

The issue does happen when the power plan is high performance.

Thanks for the help! I'll report back on what happens without the dock.

Feb 5, 2021
I ran it off the dock and didn't get the issue.

I was able to get the same 3 sensor limits to trip when running CPU and a GPU load software together, but it wouldn't get 'stuck' at low clock speed.

One thing that's different is I'm running 2 external displays + laptop screen in the dock, and only 1 external display+laptop screen when not in the dock. Could that make a different?

I ran it off the dock and didn't get the issue.

I was able to get the same 3 sensor limits to trip when running CPU and a GPU load software together, but it wouldn't get 'stuck' at low clock speed.

One thing that's different is I'm running 2 external displays + laptop screen in the dock, and only 1 external display+laptop screen when not in the dock. Could that make a different?

Clearly it could and likely does make a difference; how/with what interface methods are the two external displays connected...?