Question i5 10400 or i5 9600k ?

Sep 12, 2020
Can you help me choose between i5 10400 and i5 9600k.
I5 10400 on a "B" series motherboard or i5 9600k on B series motherboard. I will not be overclocking. As the price are almost same I am quite confused. Which one do you choose or recommend?

Lutfij

Titan
If you're sticking to Intel's offerings, I'd say to get the latest and greatest, though to be honest you're not comparing both processors the same since one can be overclocked while the other can't. If you're getting a B series motherboard, then picking a K suffix processor is moot, since you can't overclock on the chipset.

Non-K suffix processor, B series chipset board + DDR4-2666MHz ram kit in dual channel.
K suffix processor, Z series chipset board + DDR4-3600MHz ram kit in dual channel.

Is this system for gaming?

Sep 12, 2020
If you're sticking to Intel's offerings, I'd say to get the latest and greatest, though to be honest you're not comparing both processors the same since one can be overclocked while the other can't. If you're getting a B series motherboard, then picking a K suffix processor is moot, since you can't overclock on the chipset.

Non-K suffix processor, B series chipset board + DDR4-2666MHz ram kit in dual channel.
K suffix processor, Z series chipset board + DDR4-3600MHz ram kit in dual channel.

Is this system for gaming?
Nope. It's not for gaming. I am just a web developer. I mostly requires High ram and Store. And mostly Run local host softwares such as mamp , vs code and a lot of chrome tabs around 50-80. The system will be up for 12-14 hours

Sep 12, 2020
What will the pc be used for?

Generally I don’t think a 6 core 6 thread cpu is a good buy today so that rules out the 9600k. The 10400 is at least a 6 core 12 thread cpu so out of those 2 it gets my vote.
I am just a web developer. I mostly requires High ram and Store. And mostly Run local host softwares such as mamp , vs code and a lot of chrome tabs around 50-80. The system will be up for 12-14 hours.. I personally prefer to go with the 10th gen. As I will not be overclocking.