[SOLVED] i5 10400

VERX

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2014
Can someone summarize why is it "not recommended" to get a i5 10400?

This CPU is in my range but hearing here and there "don't buy it" why is that?

Solution
Value, generally.

GamersNexus did a great summary in their review, I think it broke down to:
All rounder, a Ryzen5 3600 makes more sense
Looking for the highest frame rates, an OC'd i5-10600K is the route to go (but is more expensive)

EDIT.
At the very least, watch the conclusion here:
View: https://youtu.be/csFwlKgZCzM?t=1014

To get the best performance out of a 10400, you'd want higher clocked memory, necessitating a Z series motherboard which is wasted with a locked CPU anyway.

So, for most people, the comparably priced R5 3600 just makes much more sense.
Can someone summarize why is it "not recommended" to get a i5 10400?

This CPU is in my range but hearing here and there "don't buy it" why is that?
Maybe link to were you read that so we can see what they mean?
The 10400 is fine, there are several other CPUs in the same price range that are fine as well,intel also released the 10400 without an igpu for a bit cheaper the 10400f in case you have or will get an GPU anyway it might make more sense.
On the other hand ryzen 3 is coming out soon and rocket lake as well so buying anything close to a new release is never particularly good.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Value, generally.

GamersNexus did a great summary in their review, I think it broke down to:
All rounder, a Ryzen5 3600 makes more sense
Looking for the highest frame rates, an OC'd i5-10600K is the route to go (but is more expensive)

EDIT.
At the very least, watch the conclusion here:
View: https://youtu.be/csFwlKgZCzM?t=1014

To get the best performance out of a 10400, you'd want higher clocked memory, necessitating a Z series motherboard which is wasted with a locked CPU anyway.

So, for most people, the comparably priced R5 3600 just makes much more sense.

Solution

VERX

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2014
Thanks guys , thing is i lean more towards intel and the 10400 price is just good for me, anything other than that is just more expensive compared to what's in stock at where i am.

If i was to get for an example a MSI MAG B460 TOMAHAWK and a HyperX Fury 8GB RGB 2666 MHz DDR4 how will it go with the 10400? what will the difference be if it was with a Z motherboard?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If i was to get for an example a MSI MAG B460 TOMAHAWK and a HyperX Fury 8GB RGB 2666 MHz DDR4 how will it go with the 10400?

"Fine", exactly as intended.

what will the difference be if it was with a Z motherboard?

With the same hardware, there would be no difference. The Z board allows for faster memory speeds, which can push a bit more performance out of the 10400, but not worth the expense.

If you're looking to go Intel, and your budget only stretches far enough for a 10400, then it'll do the job fine... it's just not a great value proposition.

Reactions: Phaaze88