[SOLVED] i5 10400f vs Ryzen 3600

stefansteva

Honorable
Dec 29, 2017
Im getting new pc, already made up my mind to buy i5 10th gen. But i want to post this just to be sure if anyone can change my mind. So yeah i dont have in plan to overclock, i want to run it stock, is it worth it because i saw i5 has huge bottleneck with that 2666 ram, i dont plan on buying 120$ more expensive z490 mobo. Here in serbia ASUS TUF Gaming B460-Plus and i5 10400f combo is 280 USD, while Ryzen 5 3600 MSI B450M Mortar max 340usd. Or maybe i wait up till new ryzen drops maybe prices of 3600 will drop too ?

Solution
There has been rumors of a $220 Ryzen 5600 (non-X) in Q1 next year, though I would be a little surprised if the non-X launched that low.
I wouldn't necessarily be surprised. The 3700X was $80 less than the 3800X, despite offering very similar performance, and the 3600 similarly launched for $50 less than the 3600X. And those all came out at the same time as their higher-priced counterparts, whereas we might be looking at a few month delay for the value offerings this time around.

It sounds like AMD's 5000-series processors might manage to be all-around better than Intel's current best offerings in each segment, so they took the opportunity to charge a premium for them, but that may not hold true against Rocket Lake. At the...
Here's the rundown

Getting a cpu today is bad.

In 1 month, ryzen 5000 will launch and you will have a choice between the better 5000, or the now price reduced 3000.
In q1 of 2021, meaning jan-apr, probably towards april or march, intel will release 11th gen, which is supposed to be pretty darn good, using the sunny cove architecture (first architecture change since 5th gen!!!!!!!!!!) though converted to 14nm, since 10nm is still not able to be produced fast enough for the massive amounts of desktops chips intel produces.

If you have a good enough pc right now to wait a little while, I would.

InvalidError

Titan
In 1 month, ryzen 5000 will launch and you will have a choice between the better 5000, or the now price reduced 3000.
I don't think so: AMD is heavily constrained on 7nm wafers and Zen 3 uses the same process as Zen 2. AMD will most likely shift the vast majority of Zen 2 wafers to Zen 3 or other new 7nm products, which will lead to Zen 2 parts becoming nearly unobtainable and actually go up in price.

The 3600 sold for as little as $160 during summer and now it is back to $210-220 in most places. It will likely be officially discontinued before dropping back down to $160 as an obsolete part that nobody will want due to Zen 4 on 5nm driving Zen 3 prices down while AMD burns off its excess 7nm wafers.

I don't think so: AMD is heavily constrained on 7nm wafers and Zen 3 uses the same process as Zen 2. AMD will most likely shift the vast majority of Zen 2 wafers to Zen 3 or other new 7nm products, which will lead to Zen 2 parts becoming nearly unobtainable and actually go up in price.

The 3600 sold for as little as $160 during summer and now it is back to $210-220 in most places. It will likely be officially discontinued before dropping back down to $160 as an obsolete part that nobody will want due to Zen 4 on 5nm driving Zen 3 prices down while AMD burns off its excess 7nm wafers.
I disagree.
While what you said is true, even if AMD stops all wafer making of 3000 series, stock is still plenty, and they will become that level of unobtainable around Q1, giving us a few months of low prices, and lots of stock.
Prices might go up a bit then, until eventually the parts run dry.

InvalidError

Titan
I disagree.
While what you said is true, even if AMD stops all wafer making of 3000 series, stock is still plenty, and they will become that level of unobtainable around Q1, giving us a few months of low prices, and lots of stock.
The low prices were two months ago while AMD was in a demand lull between Navi/Zen 2 and Big Navi/Zen 3/PS5/series-SX. The rebound on 3600 pricing is a likely tell-tale sign that 3600 availability already got tightened from AMD shifting wafers elsewhere.

stefansteva

Honorable
Dec 29, 2017
I guess imma be patient for a lil bit just to see what's gonna happend after new ryzen drop, also i didnt really see anything cheaper in than 299$ from their live stream and 299$ for CPU only is kinda off my budget by alot, is there any possibility that they gonna drop something cheaper like r3 5000 ?. Thanks for answers and help

InvalidError

Titan
is there any possibility that they gonna drop something cheaper like r3 5000 ?
There has been rumors of a $220 Ryzen 5600 (non-X) in Q1 next year, though I would be a little surprised if the non-X launched that low.

With 32MB of L3 in the CCD, AMD is bound to have dies with some defective L3 blocks, so 5100-5300 parts to sell those off are almost guaranteed to come along sooner or later.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised. The 3700X was $80 less than the 3800X, despite offering very similar performance, and the 3600 similarly launched for $50 less than the 3600X. And those all came out at the same time as their higher-priced counterparts, whereas we might be looking at a few month delay for the value offerings this time around.

It sounds like AMD's 5000-series processors might manage to be all-around better than Intel's current best offerings in each segment, so they took the opportunity to charge a premium for them, but that may not hold true against Rocket Lake. At the very least, there's a large price gap between the 5600X and the lower-end 6-core, 12-thread processors like the 10400, and AMD arguably needs something closer to that price segment to replace the 3600. That will only be more true once Intel's next-generation processors launch.

Of course, if one is interested in building a system right now, waiting a few months or so might not necessarily make sense. It's not like the 10400 will suddenly become obsolete, and the 5600 is likely to cost more. Intel might launch a new i5 around the 10400's price, but there's no guarantee that it will be substantially faster.

Solution