[SOLVED] I5 10500 or r7 2700x?

Solution
What is your intended use for this pc?

I5-10400 has 12 threads a passmark rating of 13411. That is when all 12 threads are fully utilized.
The single thread rating is 2746.

R7-2600x has 16 threads and a higher rating of 17574 but a lower single thread rating of 2437.

For all practical purposes, you could pick either.

If you use is for batch apps where you can utilize all 16 threads, the 2600X is going to be better.
OTOH, the 10400 will come with integrated graphics which is suitable for anything except gaming.

If your main use is for gaming with a discrete graphics card, then the higher single thread performance of the 10400 may well be better. Few games can effectively use more than 4-6 threads. Many games depend on the...
What about price of mobo?

Do you see yourself upgrading to a better CPU down the road? AMD B550 mobos will support the upcoming Ryzen 4000 CPUs due out in a couple months. Something from that lineup could be a substantial upgrade from the 2700X.

The stock AMD coolers are better than the stock Intel coolers.

Reactions: GiorgosGe

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I second the notion of just going with AMD honestly.
You get the same if not better performance overall, but better upgrade options for the future without having to buy a whole new mobo (especially if you go with B550 which is the newest)

And all their CPU's are unlocked so you can overclock if you want to and you don't need any specific and special version of their CPU's or motherboards to do it. Any AM4 platform mobo (excluding the A320) and any Ryzen CPU can overclock. (recommended to have an aftermarket cooler for better overclocking results)

What is your intended use for this pc?

I5-10400 has 12 threads a passmark rating of 13411. That is when all 12 threads are fully utilized.
The single thread rating is 2746.

R7-2600x has 16 threads and a higher rating of 17574 but a lower single thread rating of 2437.

For all practical purposes, you could pick either.

If you use is for batch apps where you can utilize all 16 threads, the 2600X is going to be better.
OTOH, the 10400 will come with integrated graphics which is suitable for anything except gaming.

If your main use is for gaming with a discrete graphics card, then the higher single thread performance of the 10400 may well be better. Few games can effectively use more than 4-6 threads. Many games depend on the performance of the single master thread.

If, however you play multiplayer games with many participants, then the extra threads of the 2600X would be better.

Either processor can be upgraded on whatever motherboard you pick.
The truth is, though, that cpu upgrades usually end up using what is then the latest motherboard.

Reactions: tennis2
Solution