[SOLVED] i5 10600k or i7 10700k?

vlad0934

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Been trying to figure out what cpu to get for the past week but I still can't decide

my main purpose is gaming, gaming in vr (valve index) and a slight (and I mean slight) photoshop

been trying to figure out if it is even worth it to go for the i7 but the thing that I'm wondering is how future proof is 6 cores really gonna be (I'm hoping to keep the cpu for at least 4 or so years)

I am upgrading to the RTX 3080 when ever it comes out and my expectation is to run games at ultra with at minimum 60 fps at 1080 or 1440 (currently have silicon lottery winner 2060 in my build xD).

main purpose of the upgrade is to max out cyberpunk and not have the cpu bottleneck

any help is appreciated :)

Solution
If you want to hedge your bets for the future, then the 10700k might be the better choice as you will get the same core and thread count as the next gen consoles.

If you really want to save the $100 or so, the 10600k is quite capable in today's games and 60FPS is actually a fairly easy target to hit in terms of CPU utilization. Usually you don't get CPU limited until you start chasing framerates higher than 60FPS eg. you have a 144Hz monitor and want to try to hit 144FPS constantly in every game possible.
If you want to hedge your bets for the future, then the 10700k might be the better choice as you will get the same core and thread count as the next gen consoles.

If you really want to save the $100 or so, the 10600k is quite capable in today's games and 60FPS is actually a fairly easy target to hit in terms of CPU utilization. Usually you don't get CPU limited until you start chasing framerates higher than 60FPS eg. you have a 144Hz monitor and want to try to hit 144FPS constantly in every game possible.

Solution