[SOLVED] i5 10600k stuck at 4.5ghz / 45x multiplier

Apr 22, 2021
OK so I have a i5 10600k with an ASRock b560 Pro motherboard that is running the latest Bios along with 3200mhz DDR4 ram running at 3200mhz. The main question I have is that no matter what multiplier I set in the Bios or even using the Intel Extreme Utility app in Windows I can't get over 4.5ghz. If I check CPU-Z it says 45x is my multiplier. Hell I can't even boost over 4.5ghz at all it just stays slammed to 4.5ghz and goes no higher.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this? or is it because my b560 is crap lol.

System Specs:

i5 10600k
Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz DDR 4 @ 3200mhz
ASRock b560 Pro motherboard with latest bios
1070 ti
700w EVGA PSU 80+ Bronze

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution
Oddly enough if the system is idle it hits between 4.6 to 4.7, If I play a game or run a benchmark it goes back to 4.5 and thats it lol

When you play a game you are using all the cores, ergo the all-core turbo limit of 4.5 GHz....

It seems you are expecting to see 4.8 GHz under the all-cores loaded scenarios, ....which will not occur.
OK so I have a i5 10600k with an ASRock b560 Pro motherboard that is running the latest Bios along with 3200mhz DDR4 ram running at 3200mhz. The main question I have is that no matter what multiplier I set in the Bios or even using the Intel Extreme Utility app in Windows I can't get over 4.5ghz. If I check CPU-Z it says 45x is my multiplier. Hell I can't even boost over 4.5ghz at all it just stays slammed to 4.5ghz and goes no higher.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this? or is it because my b560 is crap lol.

System Specs:

i5 10600k
1070 ti
700w EVGA PSU 80+ Bronze
You have a lot going on here to start let's go ahead and restore both bios and any applictions, to default. Disable the app and use bios apps cause to many issues to start if you get something wrong you can lock yourself out of your pc till you reinstall windows or work your way around the application settimgs the long way... Bios you screw up reset the bios....

Reactions: TXRaptor

System Specs:

i5 10600k
1070 ti
700w EVGA PSU 80+ Bronze
After getting everything restored to default and removing oc'ing application. Boot to bios set ram to 2999MHz, when you oc your cpu you are ocing your ram with it.

4.8 GHz is the single core usage/loading turbo peak, and 4.5 GHz would likely be the correct all-core turbo clock speed for an all-cores loaded condition...

One certainly is not overclocking on a B560 chipset. (A Z-series board might have allowed more, of course, although even this would be of little consequence with any GPU other than a 3080 or above.)

Apr 22, 2021
4.8 GHz is the single core usage/loading turbo peak, and 4.5 GHz would likely be the correct all-core turbo clock speed for an all-cores loaded condition...

One certainly is not overclocking on a B560 chipset. (A Z-series board might have allowed more, of course, although even this would be of little consequence with any GPU other than a 3080 or above.)

I kind of figured it was the board Lol. I got it back at 4.5ghz so I guess I am on the hunt for a new board!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Last I knew, you can't OC on a B board. Intel has removed the ram OC restrictions for the B&H series with the 500 series boards but that doesn't include the ability to OC the cpu. You can always UC the cpu, but can't exceed the factory turbo settings, and an all core locked turbo for that cpu is
The Intel Core i5-10600K has a single-core Turbo Boost of 4.8GHz and 4.5GHz for an all-core Turbo Boost.
If you are trying to lock the cores at 4.8GHz, it's not going to work. You'll get a 45x multiplier and that's it. If you want to see higher, set the cores back to Auto, so that at least 1 core use will hit 4.8GHz, 2 cores will hit 4.7GHz, 3-4 4.6GHz and 5-6 at 4.5GHz.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021
Last I knew, you can't OC on a B board. Intel has removed the ram OC restrictions for the B&H series with the 500 series boards but that doesn't include the ability to OC the cpu. You can always UC the cpu, but can't exceed the factory turbo settings, and an all core locked turbo for that cpu is
If you are trying to lock the cores at 4.8GHz, it's not going to work. You'll get a 45x multiplier and that's it. If you want to see higher, set the cores back to Auto, so that at least 1 core use will hit 4.8GHz, 2 cores will hit 4.7GHz, 3-4 4.6GHz and 5-6 at 4.5GHz.

I set it back to auto and still won't boost over 4.5 I guess that is just what I am going to get with this board

still won't boost over 4.5
Are you running a single thread test or a full load test?

Try running ThrottleStop 9.3
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Post some screenshots. This program will confirm that your BIOS is setting your CPU up correctly. When idle, open the C states window and make sure your C states are working correctly.

Run the built in TS Bench test. Set it to a 1 Thread test. Take a screenshot while the CPU is loaded running this test. Also show me the FIVR and TPL windows.

@TXRaptor - Easy problem to troubleshoot. All of your C states are disabled. In the BIOS, CPU C3 Support, C6 Support and C7 Support are all set to Auto. Try setting these to Enabled. It looks like on your motherboard, Auto means Disabled.

zjQasLS.png

When the C states are disabled, your CPU will be limited to the 45 multiplier. If you get the C states working, try running a TS Bench - 1 Thread test and you should see a multiplier reported that is higher than 45.

Edit - Some people hate the low power C states. Not sure why. At the minimum, you need at least C3 support enabled. I have core C7 enabled because I like reducing heat and saving power.

Last edited:
If you run a TS Bench - 1 Thread test, you should see close to the 48 multiplier. If you have a lot of background processes running, these tasks will wake up additional cores. This will immediately drop the multiplier. The CPU constantly adjusts its speed hundreds of times per second based on how many cores are active.

Any benchmark that loads all 6 cores is limited to the 45 multiplier. Turbo boost does work but it is mostly a marketing gimmick by Intel. When running single threaded tasks you will see a barely noticeable 5% boost in performance. When doing anything important, you will not see any additional boost.

Apr 22, 2021
If you run a TS Bench - 1 Thread test, you should see close to the 48 multiplier. If you have a lot of background processes running, these tasks will wake up additional cores. This will immediately drop the multiplier. The CPU constantly adjusts its speed hundreds of times per second based on how many cores are active.

Any benchmark that loads all 6 cores is limited to the 45 multiplier. Turbo boost does work but it is mostly a marketing gimmick by Intel. When running single threaded tasks you will see a barely noticeable 5% boost in performance. When doing anything important, you will not see any additional boost.

Yeah the TS bench 1 thread test actually hit the 48x.

Thank you Webb for all the help! Really nice of you to go out of your way to help so much!

Reactions: uWebb429
Apr 22, 2021
When you play a game you are using all the cores, ergo the all-core turbo limit of 4.5 GHz....

It seems you are expecting to see 4.8 GHz under the all-cores loaded scenarios, ....which will not occur.

Yeah for some reason I was thinking it should hit the 4.8 when under load and you're right that isn't how it works Lol. Thanks for your help too mdd! and thanks to everyone that replied to help a intel noob like myself.

Thanks again everyone!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And that's the gimmick. You'll never use just 1 thread, even Windows uses multiple threads, all the time, just as a time saver to run multiple processes simultaneously (older OS used to run 60-90 processes, Win10 runs 110+ on average).

Even playing the simplist games like CSGO, you'll be actively using @ 4 threads, 2 for the game, and 2 for Windows and Steam and Lan and audio etc.