[SOLVED] i5 10600K vs i7 10700K

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hey guys! Need help deciding between these two CPUs, but let me describe my situation...

My new build (not yet purchased):
ASUS ROG Z490-A
Deepcool Castle 360EX
Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB (3600/CL18)
Gigabyte Vision RTX 3070 (on backorder)
Seasonic Prime TX-850 80+Titanium (purchased)

Other parts like case and RGB not relevant.

I had been on the fence between team red and blue for the longest time. Like most people I missed getting a 3080/3090. I was able to get first in queue for backorder of an RTX3070 at my local retailer on launch day. With the Zen 3 launch yesterday, I again missed getting one. I'm honestly getting really fed up with all these paper launches. My plan was to get a top of the line team red setup. Zen 3 CPU with the upcoming premium ASUS "Dark Hero" x570 board, with the newly just announced G.Skill Neo kits that can push 4000mhz at decent timings. But to take full advantage of SAM and the like, I'd want a red GPU as well. But of course without doubt that's going to be a paper launch as well.

So! My thinking is that I'd just get a budget Intel setup for now and wait out all this craziness. I'd be stuck with a blue motherboard. But I can just wait for Rocket Lake (hopefully Intel is scared enough recently to really make this new CPU competitive when it launches next year). Same socket so my board would still be relevant. And hope to baby Jesus that PCIE4.0 really will be opened up on existing Z490 chipset. And I'd have my pick of the litter when supply opens up on 3080/3090 next year with possibly even 3080Ti. And if I really wanted, I could still sell off my stuff (with accetable returns) and go for full team red at that point with Big Navi supply also opening up and with more AIB offerings.
For a budget Intel build I'd want to go for the i5 10600K. i7 10700K is only a mere $80 CAD (if you factor in the value of Far Cry 6 bundle which I don't care about) less than 5800X at considerably less performance so the value to dollar does not make sense. i5 opens up the dollar gap a bit more (diff of $200). But! A budget build doesn't mean I'm totally ok with budget performance. I'd want it to still run Cyberpunk 2077 at close to max settings for 2k gaming. Reading this article from Tom's Hardware, it seems i5 10600K may fall short of 2K gaming at decently high settings (remember I'd only have an RTX 3070 at that).

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!

Solution
Hey guys! Need help deciding between these two CPUs, but let me describe my situation...

ASUS ROG Z490-A
Deepcool Castle 360EX

I had been on the fence between team red and blue for the longest time. Like most people I missed getting a 3080/3090. I was able to get first in queue for backorder of an RTX3070 at my local retailer on launch day. With the Zen 3 launch yesterday, I again missed getting one. I'm honestly getting really fed up with all these paper launches. My plan was to get a top of the line team red setup. Zen 3...

ASUS ROG Z490-A
Deepcool Castle 360EX

I had been on the fence between team red and blue for the longest time. Like most people I missed getting a 3080/3090. I was able to get first in queue for backorder of an RTX3070 at my local retailer on launch day. With the Zen 3 launch yesterday, I again missed getting one. I'm honestly getting really fed up with all these paper launches. My plan was to get a top of the line team red setup. Zen 3 CPU with the upcoming premium ASUS "Dark Hero" x570 board, with the newly just announced G.Skill Neo kits that can push 4000mhz at decent timings. But to take full advantage of SAM and the like, I'd want a red GPU as well. But of course without doubt that's going to be a paper launch as well.

So! My thinking is that I'd just get a budget Intel setup for now and wait out all this craziness. I'd be stuck with a blue motherboard. But I can just wait for Rocket Lake (hopefully Intel is scared enough recently to really make this new CPU competitive when it launches next year). Same socket so my board would still be relevant. And hope to baby Jesus that PCIE4.0 really will be opened up on existing Z490 chipset. And I'd have my pick of the litter when supply opens up on 3080/3090 next year with possibly even 3080Ti. And if I really wanted, I could still sell off my stuff (with accetable returns) and go for full team red at that point with Big Navi supply also opening up and with more AIB offerings.
For a budget Intel build I'd want to go for the i5 10600K. i7 10700K is only a mere $80 CAD (if you factor in the value of Far Cry 6 bundle which I don't care about) less than 5800X at considerably less performance so the value to dollar does not make sense. i5 opens up the dollar gap a bit more (diff of $200). But! A budget build doesn't mean I'm totally ok with budget performance. I'd want it to still run Cyberpunk 2077 at close to max settings for 2k gaming. Reading this article from Tom's Hardware, it seems i5 10600K may fall short of 2K gaming at decently high settings (remember I'd only have an RTX 3070 at that).

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!
Getting a mid-high end build just for the meanwhile is really stupid.

If you just want a system that can play your games for now, then get the new team red machine later, get either something cheaper and less wasteful, or a used system.

If I were you, I'd just try buying my stuff local.
While obviously the 3080 is sold out on newegg, amazon and stuff like that, If you roll in your closest physical computer store, it's likely they'll actually have stock on hand.
Aside from that, you can also just, wait.

As for between the i7 and i5 as a general cpu, the i7 is a better value I think, but only if you need the 8 cores, which you don't for gaming.

Solution