Gamer31

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum section. I should have posted this in the Systems forum but I don't know how to move this thread to the Systems forum.
I'm planning on building a Gaming PC once GPU prices come down. I'm looking to spend around $1500 - $1750, but I suppose I could go up to $2000 if necessary. I plan on using it for VR gaming on something like the HP Reverb G2. The G2 has a total resolution of 4320 X 2160 @ 90hz so I figure I'll need an RTX 3080 to get the most out of it. I want to do a good job with this build because I'm hoping to be able to use it for the next 5+ years without having to upgrade anything except maybe the GPU or RAM capacity. I've put together a PCPartPicker list but have some questions about it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mprv9N

1. I'm not quite sure what SSD to get. I decided I wanted 2TB of storage and have been looking at the Western Digital Blue sn550 2TB and the Silicon Power UD70 2TB. I understand these are not the fastest drives but I figure they'll be plenty fast for gaming as I'd rather not spend $300+ dollars on an SSD. Is it necessary to get a faster drive for running windows or would one of these drives suffice as both a boot drive and game drive? I could get something like a 256GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus as my boot drive and then use the WD Blue or Silicon Power for storing games and stuff, though I'd rather not have to get a separate boot drive unless the WD Blue and Silicon Power are to slow to comfortably run windows. Any suggestions for storage would be appreciated. Note: I included all three of the drives mentioned in my PCPartPicker list.

2. I haven't decided on the CPU. I'm leaning towards the i5-11400(or 11400F if I can find one for a good price). Would this bottleneck the RTX 3080 for gaming? Do you think the 11400 would still be adequate for gaming in 5 or so years? Should I upgrade to something like the Ryzen 5 5600X or Ryzen 7 5800X? I'm open to CPU suggestions.

3. I don't really have any experience with overclocking, so I was wondering what kind of overclocking I could do with this build and is overclocking even worth it?

Last edited:
Solution
Part prices fluctuate on daily basis, and with the current hardware market there is a lot of uncertainty. Its better to create a part list when you are actually buying which i dont think is anytime soon. Your part list is all over the place, make sure you seek suggestion before purchase.

To answer your questions...

1. A 1TB or 2TB NVME should be plenty sufficient for both as boot drive and storage. A bigger drive is always faster than a smaller capacity drive due to bigger cache. You can create a 100gb - 150gb partition for your Windows and use the rest as storage.

2. A 6 core wont last you properly for 5 yrs. If you are planning long term, I would suggest 8 core.

3. With Intel, you cannot overclock non K chips. With Ryzen there is...
Part prices fluctuate on daily basis, and with the current hardware market there is a lot of uncertainty. Its better to create a part list when you are actually buying which i dont think is anytime soon. Your part list is all over the place, make sure you seek suggestion before purchase.

1. A 1TB or 2TB NVME should be plenty sufficient for both as boot drive and storage. A bigger drive is always faster than a smaller capacity drive due to bigger cache. You can create a 100gb - 150gb partition for your Windows and use the rest as storage.

2. A 6 core wont last you properly for 5 yrs. If you are planning long term, I would suggest 8 core.

3. With Intel, you cannot overclock non K chips. With Ryzen there is not much OC headroom, so its not worth the hassle.

On a sidenote, if you are planning to get a 3080 for 700 bucks, you might be looking at a waiting period of 12 to 18 months probably. At which point it would be probably time for next gen. release.

Solution

Gamer31

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014

3. With Intel, you cannot overclock non K chips. With Ryzen there is not much OC headroom, so its not worth the hassle.

On a sidenote, if you are planning to get a 3080 for 700 bucks, you might be looking at a waiting period of 12 to 18 months probably. At which point it would be probably time for next gen. release.
Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and revise or remake my parts list when I actually plan to build the thing. One other question though, why won't 6 cores be enough in the next 5 years? My understanding is that the CPU doesn't make a huge difference when it comes to 4K gaming, and I figure that the system requirements for 4K gaming on a screen is similar to gaming on a 4K VR headset. Is this correct? Are you thinking this will change in the next 5 years and that 8 cores will be necessary for gaming in the future?

Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and revise or remake my parts list when I actually plan to build the thing. One other question though, why won't 6 cores be enough in the next 5 years? My understanding is that the CPU doesn't make a huge difference when it comes to 4K gaming, and I figure that the system requirements for 4K gaming on a screen is similar to gaming on a 4K VR headset. Is this correct? Are you thinking this will change in the next 5 years and that 8 cores will be necessary for gaming in the future?
While it is true that CPU doesn't make much difference at higher resolution because of GPU limits, you also need a CPU powerful enough to support a card of 3080 calibre without limiting its full potential as well as future upgrades which I am sure would be more powerful than that. Besides giving you better performance specially with CPU intensive games, it would also ensure more longevity out of the build as games become more demanding, which is what you wanted in the first place.

I think I'd spring for the 5800X if at all possible, and then rest easy knowing that if/when I play a game at 1080P, I'm pretty close to the max FPS available with an RTX3080, knowing I have enough cores/threads and GPU to last a decent handful of years ....minimum

Go with a single NVMe SSD ... the 2TB WD in your build. If you need more storage you can add a cheap SATA SSD later on. Add a better cpu cooler such as this Sythe down below and you can run that 1400 with the power limits turned off in the bios. It's a round a bout way of OC those locked Intel cpu's.

https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Rev-CPU-Cooler-Support/dp/B06ZYB8K77/
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Air Cooler $49.99

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Desktop-Gaming-BL2K8G32C16U4B/dp/B083TRRT16/
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 $87.99

Gamer31

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
I think I'd spring for the 5800X if at all possible, and then rest easy knowing that if/when I play a game at 1080P, I'm pretty close to the max FPS available with an RTX3080, knowing I have enough cores/threads and GPU to last a decent handful of years ....minimum
Thank you for the reply. I don't plan on doing any 1080P gaming at this point because I don't have any monitors/tvs with more than 60hz. I do plan on getting a VR headset with 90 or 120hz refresh rate, but I would probably be playing at a quite high VR resolution(4K or 5K). Do you think a 5800X would still be necessary for this setup?