[SOLVED] i5 11400f temps (MSI B560M Mortar + Dark Rock Pro 4)

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Hey everyone

Need some quick feedback on my new build.
An 11400f with an MSI Mortar B560M motherboard, with a Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler

I run the setup, with no power limit on the cpu.
I ran two different stress test methods with these results.
Cpu fan curve is just the MSI Center default one.

Cinebench
Max watt load around 100w
Highest temp seen was 63°c

Prime 95 - was a lot harder for the cpu
Max load was around 155w
Highest temp seen was 81°c - seems high with a Dark Rock Pro 4 mounted?

My question is, are these results what I can expect? Are they ok?

it seems to run rather hot, more so than I initially thought it would.

Gaming WoW and such games I don't see the temps above 60°C (ish)

Any feedback is welcomed!

Solution
I was a bit worried when I saw those 80°c temps in Prime 95, but this stress test is, as you say, not really for any day usage, at all.
My old i7 7700K ran that with a Scythe Mugen at around 75c at max.
The 11400F is much more power hungry than the 7700K so I would expect it to run hotter. For reference I run around 65C for Cinebench R23 and video rendering, gaming is usually a little lower but it depends on the game. I stopped testing Prime 95 several years ago because I find it completely unrealistic for real world use.

I could raise the cpu fan speed, for sure, but if these temps are totally fine and even good for an i5 11400f, I am going to leave it at default.
I wouldn't bother personally, you could probably get...
Hey there,

Yes, they are pretty strong results all-round. Your temps are where they should be.

Idle - 28-35c depending on your ambient temps. But typically 10-15c over ambient.
Gaming - 45-65c game dependant. This is an average, some games may push up to the 70c mark or slightly beyond.
Full load - Prime 95/OCCT etc 70c - 80c (ideally). For th emost part you don't want your CPU temps going beyond 80c for it's max load. No Intel chips run hotter than that, and that's okay. It's within spec. But keeping it below 80c for Full load/OC settings is always best.

I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.

Reactions: tiat
Hey everyone

Need some quick feedback on my new build.
An 11400f with an MSI Mortar B560M motherboard, with a Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler

I run the setup, with no power limit on the cpu.
I ran two different stress test methods with these results.
Cpu fan curve is just the MSI Center default one.

Cinebench
Max watt load around 100w
Highest temp seen was 63°c

Prime 95 - was a lot harder for the cpu
Max load was around 155w
Highest temp seen was 81°c - seems high with a Dark Rock Pro 4 mounted?

My question is, are these results what I can expect? Are they ok?

it seems to run rather hot, more so than I initially thought it would.

Gaming WoW and such games I don't see the temps above 60°C (ish)

Any feedback is welcomed!
Those temps are fine in my book. 63C in Cinebench R23 is pretty good I would say. I find Cinebench a more accurate predictor of day to day loads temps, for example my Cinebench numbers are in line with my max gaming and video rendering temps. Prime 95 is an extremely intense program that makes heavy use of AVX2 instructions. While AVX is used in lots of programs these days, even games, they don't saturate the CPU with them.

I know it's a high end cooler but I would still say it's a good result. You could probably get it a bit lower maybe by tweaking the fan curve but I don't think you need to be concerned.

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Those temps are fine in my book. 63C in Cinebench R23 is pretty good I would say. I find Cinebench a more accurate predictor of day to day loads temps, for example my Cinebench numbers are in line with my max gaming and video rendering temps. Prime 95 is an extremely intense program that makes heavy use of AVX2 instructions. While AVX is used in lots of programs these days, even games, they don't saturate the CPU with them.

I know it's a high end cooler but I would still say it's a good result. You could probably get it a bit lower maybe by tweaking the fan curve but I don't think you need to be concerned.

Hello again, and thanks for the quick reply, again! :)

Glad to hear this answer.
I was a bit worried when I saw those 80°c temps in Prime 95, but this stress test is, as you say, not really for any day usage, at all.

I could raise the cpu fan speed, for sure, but if these temps are totally fine and even good for an i5 11400f, I am going to leave it at default.

I was a little worried that I might have had put too little cooling paste on the cpu, not a fan of over using that stuff, have had better results with "less is more".

Thanks again for the help :)

The 11400F is much more power hungry than the 7700K so I would expect it to run hotter. For reference I run around 65C for Cinebench R23 and video rendering, gaming is usually a little lower but it depends on the game. I stopped testing Prime 95 several years ago because I find it completely unrealistic for real world use.

I wouldn't bother personally, you could probably get slightly lower temps, but the CPU cooler would sound like a jet engine. Anything under 70C is a great temperature for a modern CPU and the CPU should last a very long time. Even at 80C longevity is generally not a concern. It's not a temperature I would want to run at regularly but fortunately you don't have to as I've never encountered a workload that replicated Prime 95.

I was a little worried that I might have had put too little cooling paste on the cpu, not a fan of over using that stuff, have had better results with "less is more".
I think people get far too hung up on thermal paste application, I've applied it all manner of ways in my time and it's never made much difference. As long as there is enough for good coverage of the IHS, any excess paste will be squeezed out at the edges from the clamping force of the cooler. Worst things that's going to happen is you'll have a bit of a mess to clean up when you repaste at a later date.

Thanks again for the help :)
Your welcome :)

As @DRagor says, 150W is not an insignificant amount of heat, I've found when you get to that sort of load it does take a meaty cooler to deal with it. Some of the newer high end Intel CPU's will hit 100C within seconds of running that sort of load so your's looks quite tame :)

Solution

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Agree with above, temps are just right for those loads. Note that over 150W is not small amount of heat to dissipate, especially over longer period of time. To do better you would need to step up to water cooling, and I would say it is not worth it.

thanks! yeah I never did check the watt usage on the 7700k, glad to hear these temps are fine!

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007

I wouldn't bother personally, you could probably get slightly lower temps, but the CPU cooler would sound like a jet engine. Anything under 70C is a great temperature for a modern CPU and the CPU should last a very long time. Even at 80C longevity is generally not a concern. It's not a temperature I would want to run at regularly but fortunately you don't have to as I've never encountered a workload that replicated Prime 95.

I think people get far too hung up on thermal paste application, I've applied it all manner of ways in my time and it's never made much difference. As long as there is enough for good coverage of the IHS, any excess paste will be squeezed out at the edges from the clamping force of the cooler. Worst things that's going to happen is you'll have a bit of a mess to clean up when you repaste at a later date.

Your welcome :)

As @DRagor says, 150W is not an insignificant amount of heat, I've found when you get to that sort of load it does take a meaty cooler to deal with it. Some of the newer high end Intel CPU's will hit 100C within seconds of running that sort of load so your's looks quite tame :)

Thanks, very nice info here.

Yeah Prime95 was perhaps a bit too much, I see that.

I never did like taking off a cooler and seeing that smear of way too much paste all over.
I guess either way it would show if too little or too much, right? :)

I am pleased with this MSI Mortar btw, as we talked about in an earlier thread, it really seems to run well, loads of options and solid hardware.
:ouimaitre:

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Hey there,

Yes, they are pretty strong results all-round. Your temps are where they should be.

Idle - 28-35c depending on your ambient temps. But typically 10-15c over ambient.
Gaming - 45-65c game dependant. This is an average, some games may push up to the 70c mark or slightly beyond.
Full load - Prime 95/OCCT etc 70c - 80c (ideally). For th emost part you don't want your CPU temps going beyond 80c for it's max load. No Intel chips run hotter than that, and that's okay. It's within spec. But keeping it below 80c for Full load/OC settings is always best.

I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.

That sounds like it is where I want it to be!

Perfect - seeing 80°c on prime95 had me going, but everything explained here in this thread makes sense.
Haven't seen it above 65°c in any game or application (non stress).

I hardly notice the fans spinning, running this in a Be Quiet Pure Base 600, with all fans replaced to Silent Wings 3, along with the Dark Rock Pro 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I guess either way it would show if too little or too much, right? :)
You would soon know if you had a problem but those temps would suggest otherwise. I have a 240mm liquid cooler which is not that dissimilar in capability to a Dark Rock Pro 4, those temps are in line with what I would expect given the cooler, power draw and the chip in question.

I hardly notice the fans spinning, running this in a Be Quiet Pure Base 600, with all fans replaced to Silent Wings 3, alon
It's nice to have a quiet machine, good case as well. My PC was noisy at first, it can really disrupt your enjoyment of a game if it sounds like an aircraft about to take off.

I am pleased with this MSI Mortar btw, as we talked about in an earlier thread, it really seems to run well, loads of options and solid hardware.
That's good, I thought you would, I have experience with a couple of Mag Mortars, an Intel B460 and AMD B550 plus a Mag Tomahawk Z490, I've tested the VRM's with an infrared thermometer, they all run very cool. Perhaps a little beefier than what was required for the 11400F but you don't want to under buy.

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Yeah I can't handle too much noise, even with headset on.

Nice to hear that I am not way off the temps of a liquid cooling solution!

Yes the Pure base 600 is kinda nice, I still run a "dvd burner" etc.
Old school :sweatsmile:.

Seeing those B560 reviews, no way I was going to go cheap/budget on this one.
As you mentioned earlier, the Mortar was a solid choice. :bounce:

Yes the Pure base 600 is kinda nice, I still run a "dvd burner" etc.
I'm still a frequent user of optical drives for DVD and Bluray, I had to switch to USB ones though because I couldn't find a case with one that fit easily under my desk.

Seeing those B560 reviews, no way I was going to go cheap/budget on this one.
You researched it well, I've seen the 11400F paired with budget boards with weak VRM's and no VRM cooling. Not the place you want to be.

TRENDING THREADS