demar_25

Prominent
Apr 22, 2020
hello, I have always known that in 1080p the cpu has a lot of importance, instead in 2k or 4k that with the same gpu a different cpu almost does not affect the fps. So i want to know, if i change my current cpu, i3 8100, and i take an i5 11600k, with a gtx 1050ti, in full hd i will gain at least 20 fps? Because getting a gpu at a reasonable price these days is impossible. So I want to know if in full hd I change and take that cpu it brings me a real and effective fps gain. Thanks for your time!

The cpu/RAM determines the best possible fps you can achieve. The gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that fps at.

A 1050Ti is not going to take full advantage of this type of cpu upgrade in most games. Only games that are easy on the gpu like cs go are likely to see a noticeable improvement. I’m not saying you won’t see any improvement but in most games a 1050Ti isn’t going to utilise that extra performance.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
hello, I have always known that in 1080p the cpu has a lot of importance, instead in 2k or 4k that with the same gpu a different cpu almost does not affect the fps. So i want to know, if i change my current cpu, i3 8100, and i take an i5 11600k, with a gtx 1050ti, in full hd i will gain at least 20 fps? Because getting a gpu at a reasonable price these days is impossible. So I want to know if in full hd I change and take that cpu it brings me a real and effective fps gain. Thanks for your time!
Actually that's not nothing near enough information.
Check your CPU and GPU usage during gaming if the CPU is maxed out and the GPU is not then a upgrade would help, how much nobody knows.

Reactions: Tac 25
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

It is possible that you have a nicely balanced system and upgrading both cpu and gpu is in order.

The i5-11600K would be a massive upgrade to your I3-8100.
That said, the lower end 12th gen offerings should show up soon, and look to be an even better deal.

Reactions: demar_25

demar_25

Prominent
Apr 22, 2020
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

It is possible that you have a nicely balanced system and upgrading both cpu and gpu is in order.

The i5-11600K would be a massive upgrade to your I3-8100.
That said, the lower end 12th gen offerings should show up soon, and look to be an even better deal.
really thanks, yes i have see that 12400f sometimes have better performance in games compared to 11600k, but i have see that mb with that socket are too expensive for now. And last thing, the f version of cpu like 12400 are with the heatsink included?

The non K suffix processors will come with adequate coolers since they can not be overclocked.
The new 12th gen stock coolers will vary depending on the processors. The stronger processors will get stronger coolers.
When gaming, do not expect all threads to be fully utilized.
As such, the cpu cooler needs are reduced.

And... Usually the non F variant with included graphics will cost about $25 extra. I think that would be a wise investment.
It gets you started without a discrete gpu and can keep you going if your gpu should have problems.

It is not clear to me how much the IPC of the new processors have improved over the 11400 processors.
If they get the ipc boost that the 12th gen k processors got, they will be a winner for gaming.

logainofhades

Titan
If you play games that need more cores/threads, than the CPU can provide, and highly CPU bound, it may help you to upgrade. Your GPU isn't exactly powerful. I wouldn't bother with 11th gen, with the 12100f and 12400f availability coming. Going by HUB's review of the 12400, it is faster than an 11600k, while being cheaper.

A new CPU is unlikely to offer meaningful improvement without a GPU to go with it. However you could upgrade your CPU now and get a GPU at a later date. I would strongly advise 12th gen or Ryzen 5000 instead though. 11th gen is only worth it if you get an amazing discount, bare in mind you will need to change your motherboard and very possibly PSU regardless.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My opinion would be 'probably not'. I suspect that the 8100 is probably delivering as much information as that 1050ti can process just fine.

One easy way to tell would be to load something like Riva tuner on the games you are in question about. If you are already seeing 100% GPU use in those games then a faster CPU is unlikely to offer a performance boost beyond perhaps a couple of (margin of error) frames.

The 8th gen series of Intel is still relevant and if your mobo is up to task it would be (IMO) worthwhile to consider an upgrade of that machine to something i7 then put the other funds back to save for a higher end GPU. There are many indicators that the pricing and unavailability may be coming nearer to an end...although to be fair we have been seeing/saying that for a lot while longer than I expected already.