Question i5 12600 Post/temp problems due to overclocking

Nov 18, 2022
Hello Fellow tech people.
i have a "problem" on my 8 month old build.
recently i have found an interest in the aspect of maxing your pc performance,
heres my problem i hope some of you can shed some light on what i can do to things run smoother so to speak
my setup is
Gigabyte P750GM
Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 - 1.0
Intel Core i5 12600K
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series - 32GB: 2 sticks 3600mhz.
NZXT H series H510 Elite (i run it with no Glass front Panel, since it kills the airflow in my case)
firstly i tried to manuelly overclock my pc to find out it simply wouldnt post Windows. followed the steps from the guide in this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0p7ICPy224
fairly simply Overclocking, first was Pcores 51, 51 ,50, 50, 50, 50, E Cores 40, 40, 40, 40 MCE off
second try was 52,51,50,50,50,50 E Cores 40 ,40, 40, 40 MCE off.
I dont know enough about manual Overclocking so i stopped there
after resetting the Bios and enable X.M.P the system post with no problem
when the i5 runs the XTU 2 Benchmark with Gigabyte EasyTune on Default the Package Temparature reach 65C, with a maximum proccessor frequency of 4,54 ghz
if i run the same XTU 2 Benchmark with the EasyTune on OC mode, it hit thermal throttle right off the start of the test also peaking 100% of Power Limit throttling for 1 sec or so
the same test yield these results 100C with a 5.01 Ghz Thermal Throttling through the whole test though.
My idle temp on my CPU is from 21C to 35C mainly running under the 30C which is good.
im just a little Stunned about why the OC mode makes the CPU instant thermal throttle in the XTU 2 benchmark is my Aircooling provided by the Noctua NH u12s not enough for the Gigabyte OC mode ( which should be a mild overclock?)

it has to be said that i mainly game on the PC and only the PC crash while gaming 1 time, after prolonged gaming BF 5 with the front panel on which sorta created a toaster oven ;) plus i somehow put all the case fans on silent so it really didnt pull any air through the case doing that crash
the system perform fine other than my designflaw the NZXT 510 Elite

i really hope all i wrote here wasnt Jibberish, and that someone can shed a light on why my pc wont post with manual OC, and why with the easy tune OC cause Thermal Throttle.

Nick

Hey there,

So, I'd suggest you 'clear CMOS'. This will reset your bios to default. Start with a fresh clean state.

You should read up on OC'ing your CPU. Sometimes there is a benefit, but often with today's Intel (12th/13th Gen) and AMDs 5xxx/7xxx series, all have a boost algorithm that dynamically boosts your clock speed based on thermal headroom. So if you have low temps, the CPU will dial up faster speeds. OC'ing can bring instability (which is what you are experiencing) but most of the time the OC might only give 5% boost, and this sometimes translates to just a few FPS. IMO, you should leave your system at default, set your XMP, and enjoy gaming, instead of chasing 200mhz more on your OC, which is unstable.

Also, you might want to consider a different PSU for your system: Exploding Power Supplies: Gigabyte & Newegg Dumping Unsellable Product - YouTube think it's the same one as yours.

Nov 18, 2022
Hey there,

So, I'd suggest you 'clear CMOS'. This will reset your bios to default. Start with a fresh clean state.

You should read up on OC'ing your CPU. Sometimes there is a benefit, but often with today's Intel (12th/13th Gen) and AMDs 5xxx/7xxx series, all have a boost algorithm that dynamically boosts your clock speed based on thermal headroom. So if you have low temps, the CPU will dial up faster speeds. OC'ing can bring instability (which is what you are experiencing) but most of the time the OC might only give 5% boost, and this sometimes translates to just a few FPS. IMO, you should leave your system at default, set your XMP, and enjoy gaming, instead of chasing 200mhz more on your OC, which is unstable.

Also, you might want to consider a different PSU for your system: Exploding Power Supplies: Gigabyte & Newegg Dumping Unsellable Product - YouTube think it's the same one as yours.
Thanks i actually forgot about the PSU, lucky me i have not experience any issues but, its something i will look into,
and thanks again for some insight, i will read more about OC'ing,
would a new PSU and a bigger Air Cooler, make it more stable? for me its also a learning curve i would like to learn more about but allso find it super hard :)