[SOLVED] i5-12600k abnormal temperatures?

Jan 17, 2022
Hello

I got i5-12600k paired with Asus tuf z690 plus d4 motherboard. Asus boards got two holes for both LGA 1200 and LGA 1700 bracket support, so initially I was using LGA 1200 bracket and my temps were fairly decent ranging from 60 to 70 C.

I was able to get LGA 1700 bracket so I swapped my old one and applied Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste and now my temps are 57-67 under heavy load. So my question is, is this normal? CPU temps haven't decreased that much in my view.

I'm using Cooler Master Master Air MA612 Stealth, when I installed the new LGA 1700 bracket it wasn't sturdy and secured, rather it wobbled a bit left and right unlike my old LGA 1200 which was 100% stable. However, when I installed my cooler the bracket got fixed in its place and stopped wobbling. I've read that some LGA 1700 brackets could sway a bit but at this point I'm not sure, are those temps quite normal for this air cooler?

Solution
Initially I had the assumption that after getting the proper bracket and applying a decent thermal paste that my temps would drop down to the 50 range.
No? That's not how that works. There's various factors in play, and such a target would be highly difficult without a chilly room and custom liquid.

Is it worth to get a better cooler to achieve even lower temps?
IMO, no. The Intel cpus don't care about operating temperatures like Ryzen 3000 and 5000 do. With the exception of the thermal limit, that cpu will give its maximum regardless of how hot it runs.
On those Ryzens, cooler operating temperatures yields higher clocks - up to a point.
Jan 17, 2022
There's nothing wrong with what you're seeing now and previously??? They're really good.

Initially I had the assumption that after getting the proper bracket and applying a decent thermal paste that my temps would drop down to the 50 range. Is it worth to get a better cooler to achieve even lower temps?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Initially I had the assumption that after getting the proper bracket and applying a decent thermal paste that my temps would drop down to the 50 range.
No? That's not how that works. There's various factors in play, and such a target would be highly difficult without a chilly room and custom liquid.

Is it worth to get a better cooler to achieve even lower temps?
IMO, no. The Intel cpus don't care about operating temperatures like Ryzen 3000 and 5000 do. With the exception of the thermal limit, that cpu will give its maximum regardless of how hot it runs.
On those Ryzens, cooler operating temperatures yields higher clocks - up to a point.

Reactions: KyaraM and Joe07
Solution
Jan 17, 2022

Alright thank you very much for your help much appreciated :)