Question i5-12600k High Temps (~50º-60º idle, 100ºC during stress test) ?

Nov 19, 2021
I recently completed my new build and have been having some temperature issues. As the thread title states my idle temperatures are about 55ºC and as soon as I run a stress test it goes to 100ºC and thermal throttles. I tried both Aida64 and Prime95 (latest version Small FFT with all AVX disabled.) I have already cleaned off and replaced the thermal paste and reseated the heatsink and as far as I can tell it is seated correctly. I have only played one game (Tales of Arise) for a couple hours and my temps stayed about 55º-65º during that time. The CPU is not overclocked, and the only thing I have changed in the BIOS is enabled XMP for my ram.
Soon I want to start running poker solving simulations which can be very CPU intensive, and I don't want this to cause an issue. Please help! Thanks!

My CPU Cooler is a be quiet! Pure Rock 2 and the thermal paste is Noctua brand.
My full list of parts is here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xfhDDc

The CPU is not overclocked, and the only thing I have changed in the BIOS is enabled XMP for my ram.
The default and auto values in your mobo bios are all "overclocked" they are all maxed out settings.
You will have to find pl1 and pl2 or short and long boost duration and make sure they are at the suggested 125 and 150W.
You can also get intel extreme tuning utility and change the settings there so you can see the real time effect on benchmarks and temps. IXTU also allows you to create custom profiles for individual tasks so if your poker simulation can take advantage of certain settings you can automatically apply them whenever it runs.

Reactions: dave0192
Nov 19, 2021
Hi Terry thanks for that info. So are you saying that the extreme 100 degree stress test temperatures are an expected result without modifying the pl1/pl2 in the bios? I admit I am new to this, but it seems a bit counterinitiative to have to throttle a K SKU CPU essentially out of the box.

Hi Terry thanks for that info. So are you saying that the extreme 100 degree stress test temperatures are an expected result without modifying the pl1/pl2 in the bios? I admit I am new to this, but it seems a bit counterinitiative to have to throttle a K SKU CPU essentially out of the box.
If the mobo boosts it above recommended specs then manually applying recommended specs is not throttling.
If your mobo overclocks and you are ok with that then that's fine but then high temps are to be expected with overclocking and you should not call it not overclocked just because you didn't do it but the mobo did.

If you want to see if you have an issue with your setup you have to use the official pl1 and pl2 values and check the temps under those conditions, if they are too high then, then you have an actual issue and the forum will help you on how to deal with it.

Nov 19, 2021
If the mobo boosts it above recommended specs then manually applying recommended specs is not throttling.
If your mobo overclocks and you are ok with that then that's fine but then high temps are to be expected with overclocking and you should not call it not overclocked just because you didn't do it but the mobo did.

If you want to see if you have an issue with your setup you have to use the official pl1 and pl2 values and check the temps under those conditions, if they are too high then, then you have an actual issue and the forum will help you on how to deal with it.

Hi Terry, so after going into my BIOS I adjusted the short and long boost to 125w and 150w respectively and ran the test again with the same results. Now the only difference is when I first boot my PC the CPU fan spins very loud and the CPU temp starts high around 90º before dropping down to the 50º -60º range.

You idle temperature tells me that your cooler is not working properly or is not mounted well.
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Dumb question... Did you remove the protective mylar film before mounting?
Did you use the lga1700 mounting kit?
12600K heat spreader is not as high al lga1200 and would fit loosely, otherwise.

Nov 19, 2021
You idle temperature tells me that your cooler is not working properly or is not mounted well.
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Dumb question... Did you remove the protective mylar film before mounting?
Did you use the lga1700 mounting kit?
12600K heat spreader is not as high al lga1200 and would fit loosely, otherwise.

Hi Geofelt. Yes I removed the mylar film from the CPU. I tried reapplying the thermal paste once already so I can confirm that (I cleaned off the previous paste with 91% IPA). Yes I received and used a LGA1700 mounting kit from be quiet! and as far as I can tell everything is mounted correctly and the screws are tight (and I tightened them in a cross pattern).

What is your fan arrangement?
There should be two 120mm front intake fans. (140mm intakes are better) and one exhaust.
Dangle a tissue to verify the fan airflow direction.

Under load, does the cpu fan ramp up sufficiently high?
There should be a fan profile setting in your bios.

Nov 19, 2021
What is your fan arrangement?
There should be two 120mm front intake fans. (140mm intakes are better) and one exhaust.
Dangle a tissue to verify the fan airflow direction.

Under load, does the cpu fan ramp up sufficiently high?
There should be a fan profile setting in your bios.
I have two 120mm intake and one 120mm exhaust with airflow going from the front to the back and out. My GPU temp is always really low so im not sure if that means my case airflow is fine and just the CPU fan is the issue.

And yes my CPU fan goes to max speed when under full load

What clock speeds are sustained across assorted P and E cores (as reported in HWMonitor) during duration of test? (If the P cores are sustaining above 4.6 GHz beyond a minute or two, you are running OC'd, and if it appears system mainboard attempting to sustain 4.9 GHz, across all cores, then it would sure seem MCE is enabled.

And if running air-cooled, then running what is essentially 'half an NH-D15', I would not expect NH-D15 (a double stack cooler!) results...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
What clock speeds are sustained across assorted P and E cores (as reported in HWMonitor) during duration of test? (If the P cores are sustaining above 4.6 GHz beyond a minute or two, you are running OC'd, and if it appears system mainboard attempting to sustain 4.9 GHz, across all cores, then it would sure seem MCE is enabled.

And if running air-cooled, then running what is essentially 'half an NH-D15', I would not expect NH-D15 (a double stack cooler!) results...

I disabled Intel CPU boost in my BIOS and now when I run stress tests my temp stays pretty low around 70 degrees. However, my P-cores were only 3.7GHz and my E cores were only 2.8GHz.....

I disabled Intel CPU boost in my BIOS and now when I run stress tests my temp stays pretty low around 70 degrees. However, my P-cores were only 3.7GHz and my E cores were only 2.8GHz.....

So basically all cores runing at base frecuency (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2600k-processor-20m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html).

Even so temps seems high. Theres something fishy here.

How about idle temps? Whats the idle temp after 15 mins of sitting on the desktop doing nothing?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Please don't disable Intel Turbo Boost. That's where a sizeable chunk of the performance is.
A couple questions though:
1)Since you have an Msi board, you're not running Dragon Center, are you?
2)A question from earlier: Did you make sure the Enhanced Turbo option for your board is disabled? Some boards have this turned on by default.
It's a sort of E-Z all core OC, but it typically uses too much voltage.
Depending on the brand, the term Enhanced Turbo is coined differently. I know Asus calls it MCE, or Multi Core Enhancement. I'm not familiar with what the other brands call theirs.

Reactions: Why_Me
Nov 19, 2021
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
Please don't disable Intel Turbo Boost. That's where a sizeable chunk of the performance is.
A couple questions though:
1)Since you have an Msi board, you're not running Dragon Center, are you?
2)A question from earlier: Did you make sure the Enhanced Turbo option for your board is disabled? Some boards have this turned on by default.
It's a sort of E-Z all core OC, but it typically uses too much voltage.
Depending on the brand, the term Enhanced Turbo is coined differently. I know Asus calls it MCE, or Multi Core Enhancement. I'm not familiar with what the other brands call theirs.
  1. No I am not running dragon center or MSI Center.
  2. I thought the turbo boost was the MCE that was being referred to. I will take a closer look into the BIOS and report back

1. No I am not running dragon center or MSI Center.
  2. I thought the turbo boost was the MCE that was being referred to. I will take a closer look into the BIOS and report back

They are two different things, turbo boost is what its been present on intel cpu for years, MCE on the other hand is a pre-overclock thats included on motherboards. The thing is since all new mobos come with the new "no-limit" standard imposed by intel as default, Im not soo sure you will find MCE on this new motherboards (I could be wrong). But what you can do, which is a little harder, is re-enable turbo boost, look for PL2 make sure its at 150Watts like TerryLaze wrote, and perhaps define the duration of it to something like 56 seconds (so it only boost at max frecuency for 56 seconds, used to be like for old intel generations including 10th and 11th).

But with a base power of 125 watts, and max turbo power of 150 watts (according to intel datasheet), perhaps is not a mistery your cooler is sorta suffering a bit.

Then again In no expert on this new CPUs, perhaps someone else comes with a better idea or a suggestion. Cause all I have left at this point, considering the good case you have, is to get a bigger cooler or at least a 240mm AIO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Nov 19, 2021
Negative. Intel Turbo Boost and Multi Core Enhancement(whatever Msi's version of that is called) are separate functions.
What do you get with a simple cpu-Z stress test?

In my BIOS I re-enabled "Intel Turbo Boost", and I disabled "Enhanced Turbo".

Now my idle temp at my desktop is about 40 degrees, and then it will go to 50 degrees and come back down. A cpi-Z stress test took my temp back to 100 degrees. I forgot to check the clock speeds but don't want to run the test again because I don't want it getting back up to 100 degrees.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. This leaves one of the following - assuming the the 125 and 150w power limits were still in place:
A)Bad cooler mount.

B)Pure Rock 2 is inadequate for a 12600K specifically when it is fully loaded. You've said yourself that it manages well on a game - the number of games that can push a cpu like those benchmarks probably can be counted on one hand...

Be quiet claims that cooler is designed for up to 150w. So if a cpu is pulling around 150w of juice at the time is pretty much going to be pushing the boundary of what the cooler can handle, and thermals will be high.
At least, that's how it plays out on paper; there's always a little more to it than that - architecture, voltage, thermal density, etc.

Personally, I'm leaning towards B. As for A, I feel the thermals in game would've been pretty bad too if it were the case.

Reactions: Why_Me
Also maybe the target temp of the mobo (or cooler profile) is set to 100 degrees and setting it to something lower will make the cooler run harder to get to that temp.

So maybe MSI set the target temp to the 12600K TJunction temp?... Will OP be able to set a lower value for the target temp in BIOS?

Im guessing setting the Pure Rock 2 cooler to 100% in BIOS may help if its a cooler profile issue. But if its how its set in BIOS by default then it wont help.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Something is not right with your cooler. Idle temps should be lower. That is a heat pipe big air and if something isn't right inside it will run hot to the bottom plate regardless of the fan speeds. Stress tests running hot are normal and some throttling is to be expected in higher core count setups, you are maxing out the hardware for extended periods. Later intel "core" generations are the worst as they are pretty much overclocked at factory. Even still I would try another big air cooler and see what happens if the original was installed correctly. Idle temps should be mid 30s to low 40s if working right and ambient in the 20s.