Question i5-12600kf --- what's considered extreme OC ?

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi thanks for looking. I have a i5 12600kf and gigabyte z690 gaming. My psu does not have the extra 4 pin for extreme overclocking. But what's considered as extreme? At present it boosts to 4.9ghz when gaming (not all cores) and doesn't thermal throttle. Could I run it at 5ghz all cores (minus e cores) constant without the +4 pin?

Thanks.

Last edited:
the core speed is not what requires the extra 4pin CPU power, it's setting extreme voltages.

you can easily run 5GHz if you set the voltage high enough, but the temperatures you will see will require some advanced cooling.

you can experiment with 5GHz by upping the voltage .05 at a time until it properly boots and becomes stable enough to pass very demanding stress tests like Prime95, Intel XTU, etc.
start with ~v1.35 and see how it goes from there.
once you get it stable, you can start dropping voltage by .0025 at a time until not stable anymore, then revert to the last stable test.

you wouldn't need the extra 4pin power unless you were far surpassing 5GHz and the voltage necessary for that.

Reactions: RodroX

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi thanks for the replies. I disabled the e cores instant performance gain when gaming. I don't know if the e cores were being used for gaming but it seems like it! Then I set the cpu clock to 5ghz on all cores. The cpu voltage is on auto but the system seems stable. When gaming with cpu usage about 40% the temps stay around 70c I currently have a msi mag coreliquid 240 which is crap in my opinion. I've bought a corsair icue h150i elite 360. Just waiting for the standoffs then I will run prime95 as I guess with my current cooler the cpu is gonna cook at full throttle! And yes it's mainly for gaming. I was having issues with intermittent stuttering every now and then but now I get solid 60fps on everything.

Thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, e-cores can be used while gaming. They operate the background tasking the scheduler applies to them, freeing up the p-cores for more active and performance related tasks. As is their job. The pc just doesn't stop doing other stuff simply because a game is running.

That's part of why OC 12th gen is a 2 step process, not only are the p-cores overclocked, but the e-cores will handle a decent OC as well.
View: https://youtu.be/NsXONEo1i6U

What is extreme OC? That's easy. Extreme OC is any OC that makes you seriously reconsider your cooling ability. That applies to any level of OC, even a small bump with stock cooling, is extreme to the cpu and cooler, while a large OC isn't extreme to someone running peltier or custom loop.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Yes, e-cores can be used while gaming. They operate the background tasking the scheduler applies to them, freeing up the p-cores for more active and performance related tasks. As is their job. The pc just doesn't stop doing other stuff simply because a game is running.

That's part of why OC 12th gen is a 2 step process, not only are the p-cores overclocked, but the e-cores will handle a decent OC as well.
View: https://youtu.be/NsXONEo1i6U

What is extreme OC? That's easy. Extreme OC is any OC that makes you seriously reconsider your cooling ability. That applies to any level of OC, even a small bump with stock cooling, is extreme to the cpu and cooler, while a large OC isn't extreme to someone running peltier or custom loop.

I ment using the e cores for gaming. I've read a couple of threads that say Windows 11 don't prioritise some games properly and they end up utilising the e cores instead of p cores. The video is very informative thanks. Maybe I will try the task scheduling app he uses and see if that will solve the priority problem.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
make sure you continue to keep an eye on temperatures with Auto voltage settings.
most motherboards out there will really overdo it way past what is necessary.
manually experimenting and discovering the least amount necessary can sometimes lower temps 10-15°C at least in every scenario vs what the motherboard may automatically provide.

Hi thanks.

Yea I've got hw monitor running in the background. It's not gone over 70c yet. I think most of that heat is from the gpu as my radiator is mounted in the top of my case. Maybe I should add another fan to extract out the back as I have 3 drawing in air at the front and 2 extracting thru the radiator at the top. The vcore max value is about the same as what it was when boosting automatically. Power draw has two values at around 60w each I'm guessing that means it's drawing around 120w total power?

Thanks.