Question i5-13600K and RAM optimum compatibility ?

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Hello

I'm building my own rig, so I need to ascertain optimal compatibility between parts for both performance and cost. My analysis I need help with, is what type of RAM in quantity and speed I need to install to optimize I5-13600 performance in gaming. Hope you understand my logic flow:

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600 (https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www...-24m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz/specifications.html). I will buy i5-13600K, but that's irrelevant to the discussion. The discussion is whether I should buy RAM having more MHz than the CPU even at factory OC (turbo)

It supports dual channel, and runs up to 5Ghz in turbo, so buying 6Ghz (6000Mhz) RAM pointless? Obviously CPU supports 2 sticks, but not 4 sticks although some optimization can exist there I haven't heard of it...

Furthermore, specs say I5 13600 supports up to DDR5 4800 MT/s. Dodging the hardware specifics details so I don't open a bigger can of worms, I jump to the point by example from google: 1600 MHz DRAM is thus capable of 3200 MT/s and is often sold simply as 3200 MHz. Believing the CPU specs, it means DDR5 is supported, but up to which kind, unknown for sure. Point of this discussion is, that I can buy RAM exactly or a little over spec, and save money

Then, I google up this: What is 3200 mt s in RAM? MT/s vs MHz (Datarate vs Frequency) in RAM Modules. So, DDR4-3200 memory transmits data at a maximum rate of 3200 MT/s*8 Bytes = 25,600 MB/s. Since I5 13600 specs say it can achieve 76.8 GB/s, that means also from spec, DDR5 4800 MT/s * 8 = 38.4 GB/s * 2 (from dual channel!?) = 76.8 GB/s. My conclusion based on potential insufficient data and coincidence, is that I should buy maximum DDR5-4800 with an I5 13600 processor, but DDR5-4800 does not mean having 4800Mhz (see 1st google quote) as it is sold, so what's the name of the DDR5 I want to buy exactly? I guess it would differ by manufacturer, since specs would differ, and even the naming might be misleading

I've been told this is good: Kingston FURY Renegade RGB 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz DDR5 RAM (latency 32 kind), but in light of this discussion, it could be pointless if my system doesn't support it

Another issue: if I only buy 32GB RAM, how is 76.8 GB/s relevant to me since the CPU can't read data that isn't there... meaning to actually use 76.8 GB/s I should have a minimum of 76.8 GB installed? Which means I should use software or games that actually occupy up to that much space simultaneously, and I admit I can only possibly fill up 32GB in gaming to the best of my ability, meaning I don't need by far 76.8GB/s, and could easily get away for years with say, 48GB total RAM in dual channel, just for slack... except, RAM caching should be a reality therefore having more RAM makes sense, but whether it is generally used would be the greatest unknown, and I would guess it's an issue since optimization isn't a concern for today's cheap software. Maybe some benchmarks would clear this issue up. My experience is, that in RAM there is only what the software loads up as it goes, and there is no precaching of resources generally except minimally so having more RAM won't enable software to become more efficient since it wasn't implemented to be so

I've also picked up another quote from google: What's the Difference Between 2666MHz and 3200MHz? Most of the time, the difference is insignificant. The difference between 2666 MHz and 3200 MHz may be roughly 8 FPS. This is relevant to me since I build my rig for gaming, and in FPS PVP 8 fps matters if the overall fps is 30, since you need a constant feel of the game to get into that zone where you constantly hit your targets, given prediction is necessary, which relies on stability. A difference of 8 FPS is significant since it means random spiking, not a constant a 8 FPS drop. If it can be constantly over 60 fps then it doesn't matter since the human eye can barely make out the difference. Therefore I want more Mhz for greater refinement of fps, but only to what the i5 13600 can handle, which comes back to the original question, does buying DDR5 6000 Mhz make any sense if the CPU's Mhz is 5000Mhz tops (or rather I won't OC beyond)?

P.S. With this, I plan to plant a RTX 4070, however the compatibility issues with CPU/RAM elude me completely, I need to look at the specs more, and take into account the motherboard of course since the video card is entirely reliant on that in the end. Maybe the CPU/RAM/MB is too slow for an RTX 4070, case in which I should buy a cheaper card. I will also ascertain in another post if necessary if top speed SSD makes sense with the other parts, and finally the motherboard I need to put it all together without paying for stuff I don't actually use or need

DDR5 6000 should run fine. RAM frequency is somewhat independent of CPU frequency. You can run 4 sticks in dual-channel. There are some pros and cons to that.

DDR = Double Data Rate, which is to say that data is transferred on both the 'on' and the 'off' cycle of the frequency, thus the MT/s (Mega Transfers per second) comes into play and is double the on/off frequency. Data transfer is doubled due to double-data rate.

I don't have time to read the rest of your post. I have to go to work.

Do not overthink this.
Intel cpu performance, unlike ryzen does not much depend on fast ram.
You will find that as ram speed increases, so will the latency, negating most of the difference in speed.
You should also not equate a i5-13600 with a i5-13600K. The 13600K will turbo up a bit higher.
Find a dual channel ram kit that is explicitly supported by your motherboard and be done with it.
Supported speeds are the speed at which the motherboard will boot.
Once there, faster settings on a suitable motherboard can be set. In the motherboard specs, you may see this as 6000(oc).

Reactions: angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
True, I overthought it. After thorough but wasteful research, I wonder why I haven't just went with the CPU's top supported RAM :) Still, I have a better idea what I am actually doing and what I need

I've posted my almost complete gaming build I need checked before buying: