Question i5 - 14600k Motherboard

Aditya Singh Rawat

Reputable
Jul 9, 2020
Going to build a pc with i5-14600k no gaming and no overclocking, using it for productivity so can i use MSI B760M MORTAR WIFI DDR5. Link
And can't go with z790 and z690.

By all accounts, that's a good board in the mATX category.

Are you aware there is a slightly newer variation introduced about 6 months ago: MAG B760M MORTAR WIFI II.

Slightly faster memory support and I think an extra M.2 port. Maybe some VRM changes?

You might also look at Gigabyte B760M Aorus Elite AX. Specifications are quite similar to the MSI. Might be a few dollars cheaper.

Reactions: Aditya Singh Rawat
All mobos will apply overclocking unless you specifically choose intel default settings from the bios.
And even then they will be applying the highest settings allowed.
If you don't want overclocking because of temp/power/reliability you will have to manually make sure that all the settings are ok.

Reactions: Aditya Singh Rawat

Aditya Singh Rawat

Reputable
Jul 9, 2020
By all accounts, that's a good board in the mATX category.

Are you aware there is a slightly newer variation introduced about 6 months ago: MAG B760M MORTAR WIFI II.

Slightly faster memory support and I think an extra M.2 port. Maybe some VRM changes?

You might also look at Gigabyte B760M Aorus Elite AX. Specifications are quite similar to the MSI. Might be a few dollars cheaper.
Hey! thanks for replying i'm talking about the new variation that comes with improved vrm and m2 port. for B760M Mortar WIFI II.

And for Aorus elite AX, i heard there is coil whine issue.

Aditya Singh Rawat

Reputable
Jul 9, 2020
All mobos will apply overclocking unless you specifically choose intel default settings from the bios.
And even then they will be applying the highest settings allowed.
If you don't want overclocking because of temp/power/reliability you will have to manually make sure that all the settings are ok.
And how do you choose that settings ?

Look for settings like:

Long duration power limit
Short duration power limit
CPU Lite Load

Long duration power limit might be set to 4096 by default....which I think is much higher than you would want.

They might be found in an Overclocking or Advanced CPU Configuration area.

The default settings really vary a lot between model and manufacturer, so you can't take anything for granted.

Aditya Singh Rawat

Reputable
Jul 9, 2020
Look for settings like:

Long duration power limit
Short duration power limit
CPU Lite Load

Long duration power limit might be set to 4096 by default....which I think is much higher than you would want.

They might be found in an Overclocking or Advanced CPU Configuration area.

The default settings really vary a lot between model and manufacturer, so you can't take anything for granted.
ok thanks what would be correct setting for intel?
Or the setting will be there for intel?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
13700K is the better deal right now, only a $25 more. Gets you more cores and is the same architecture as the 14600k.

That said, you want to make sure that you load the latest BIOS for whatever motherboard, and then verify PL1 and PL2 are as listed on ark.intel (or less)

Processor Base Power
Maximum Turbo Power

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...3700k-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-40-ghz.html

Many boards opted to use the 320W absolute maximum that Intel described which lead many i7 and i9 CPUs to become unstable.

Aditya Singh Rawat

Reputable
Jul 9, 2020
13700K is the better deal right now, only a $25 more. Gets you more cores and is the same architecture as the 14600k.

That said, you want to make sure that you load the latest BIOS for whatever motherboard, and then verify PL1 and PL2 are as listed on ark.intel (or less)

Processor Base Power
Maximum Turbo Power

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...3700k-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-40-ghz.html

Many boards opted to use the 320W absolute maximum that Intel described which lead many i7 and i9 CPUs to become unstable.
I know 13700k is almost costing same as 14600k where I live but I Z790 is costly where I live, is it good if i use i7 13700k with b760 motherboard and if so which one should i go for?

I know 13700k is almost costing same as 14600k where I live but I Z790 is costly where I live, is it good if i use i7 13700k with b760 motherboard and if so which one should i go for?
Since you don't want overclocking it will be better to use a b board since they can't push the CPU as high on auto.
Which one you should buy depends on which one has all the features that you need/want.