Question i5-2400 + gtx 460 = 450w?

Jun 6, 2019
Cpu has 600w psu which comes with 2 gpu power cable or whatever it's called and has died already.
Meanwhile, my ancient cpu has 450w psu and have only one gpu power cable but I've read and watched (installing new gpu YT vids) that you can use sata cables to power gpu via sata to pci cables something.
So I've been thinking if somehow replacing 600w with 450w could still power i5 2400 with gtx 460 and still be enough and not smoke the crap out of my pc. Would it work?

The card draws 160 watts.
NVidia recommends a 450 watt PSU minimum.
I think that if you can get the right connectors to connect it.....it's worth a try.
Also.....I don't think you will smoke anything.....I think that if the PSU doesn't have enough power...your PC probably either won't boot....or boot with problems.

Nvidia recommends 450w, and that is taking into consideration the full power draw of a full system from the time.
What exact model power supply do you have? Do not use a SATA or Molex to 6 pin adapter, as neither SATA or Molex connectors are designed to deliver enough power for a gpu of that tier. If the PSU doesn't have any PCI-E power connectors, it's not meant to power a GPU that needs them.

Jun 6, 2019
Nvidia recommends 450w, and that is taking into consideration the full power draw of a full system from the time.
What exact model power supply do you have? Do not use a SATA or Molex to 6 pin adapter, as neither SATA or Molex connectors are designed to deliver enough power for a gpu of that tier. If the PSU doesn't have any PCI-E power connectors, it's not meant to power a GPU that needs them.
I'll try to check later since as far as I can remember, It's kinda crappy (cuz cheap but ok) and has worked well over the years.
So you're suggesting I shouldn't use sata connectors? With that being said, I'm now wondering about those GPUs that comes with sata to pci-e power connectors :|
Also, is there any harm with trying said things above? Will my gpu or ram die or something?

It is important to know the exact model of 450watt power supply you have. I wouldnt use a low end 450 watt in your system, but a quality 450 watt would work reliably.

Thise adapters arent safe. Just dont use them.

If your psu fails, it can kill any part in your computer. The gpu and motherboard are the first things to go usually, but even more can be broken. Thats why knowing what exact psu you have is so important.

Jun 6, 2019
Ch
It is important to know the exact model of 450watt power supply you have. I wouldnt use a low end 450 watt in your system, but a quality 450 watt would work reliably.

If your psu fails, it can kill any part in your computer. The gpu and motherboard are the first things to go usually, but even more can be broken. Thats why knowing what exact psu you have is so important.
Checked it. It says Rock Power 450w?
AC in: 230-113vac
3.3A~6.5
50-60Hz
DC out:
+3.3V
+5V
+12V
-5V
-12V
+5VSB
MAX:
24A
32A
24A
0.8A
0.5A
2A

Literally what it says on its sticker. Forgive my ignorance when it comes to these kind of things.

Since the majority of the amperage is on the 5v rail and most electronics need the majority of the power on the 12v rail, i would say this power supply is inadequate for a gtx 460.

Also, rock power is not a reputable brand.

I would make sure NOT to use this psu with the 460, and instead buy a better power supply.

Reactions: Jennova

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Never heard of Rock Power - so that doesn't bode well. Also, a PSU rated at 450W that produces only 288W on the 12V rail (24A x 12V) is HORRIBLE. A good PSU at the very least should be able to make almost all of its rated power available on the 12V rails.

I would strongly recommend against using that PSU on anything.

Reactions: Jennova