[SOLVED] i5 2400 overheating and causing low fps

Feb 13, 2019
So my computers performance has been degrading over the past months and I'm not really sure what the problem is,
all my games I own are almost unplayable because of low framerate compared to what they previously were.

CPU temps: View: https://imgur.com/a/NN1xjMt

dxdiag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H9_DpMHw26r2Hf39sAxXwjnJei9vWV92/view?usp=sharing

I've tried using ddu to wipe graphics drivers, reinstalling windows, reapplying thermal paste, compressed air to clean case, cleaning out heat sink and nothing has improved.

my cpu temps are about 80-90c when play saints row 3 so I think there is a problem, I just don't really know what to fix or replace cause I'm short on money.

Thanks for the help

Solution
Okay, not a great cooler, but unless you have just started monitoring your temperatures there shouldn't be a problem randomly emerging. Either your CPU itself is going bad, or possibly your motherboard's components are overloading your CPU in some way or another.
You've gone to quite some lengths already, good job. With what you've tried already, I would expect you to have fixed your problem by now. The reapplying thermal paste, cleaning your case and CPU heatsink should be the most effective in your situation, but the problem persists. Since you've tried so many things, I'm not sure how many things there are left to do. I'm almost thinking that the thermal paste inside the CPU itself has gone dry.

Are you sure all the fans are working correctly?

Feb 13, 2019
You've gone to quite some lengths already, good job. With what you've tried already, I would expect you to have fixed your problem by now. The reapplying thermal paste, cleaning your case and CPU heatsink should be the most effective in your situation, but the problem persists. Since you've tried so many things, I'm not sure how many things there are left to do. I'm almost thinking that the thermal paste inside the CPU itself has gone dry.

Are you sure all the fans are working correctly?
all of the fans are spinning at full blast inside of my case so I assume that means they're still functioning but its pushing out warm air.

I doubt the fan placement and orientation is a problem, unless you've reinstalled them recently. I'd expect that you would've seen problems sooner if they're been in bad orientations for ages. Blowing out hot air is what you want them to do, ultimately. The fact it's so hot is obviously the problem.

I don't think you can rule out the CPU itself being the problem, since I doubt you have another CPU that fits your socket laying around..

Feb 13, 2019
I doubt the fan placement and orientation is a problem, unless you've reinstalled them recently. I'd expect that you would've seen problems sooner if they're been in bad orientations for ages. Blowing out hot air is what you want them to do, ultimately. The fact it's so hot is obviously the problem.

I don't think you can rule out the CPU itself being the problem, since I doubt you have another CPU that fits your socket laying around..

Yeah I don't have another cpu available to test,
not sure if I should replace the cooler or the actual cpu or both.

Okay, not a great cooler, but unless you have just started monitoring your temperatures there shouldn't be a problem randomly emerging. Either your CPU itself is going bad, or possibly your motherboard's components are overloading your CPU in some way or another.

Solution