Status
Not open for further replies.

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Ok, Can anyone help me with overclocking my processor I was hoping for a 3.9 stable overclock.

Specs.
I5 2400 CPU
Corsair A50 Heatsink
G.skill 1333 cas 9 Ram
Asus P8P67-M Pro Motherboard

Any more questions about specs and uses I'll be happy to answer.

Edit: I have read a review by bittechreviews and they said that they had no problem at all getting this CPU to oc to this spec, they even gave me VCCIO and VCCSA voltages they used. One problem I faced in the bios however, is that I can't find VCCSA, so if anyone could at least tell me where the VCCSA is in the bios I would appreciate it.

Solution
zep:
To do a REAL overclock on all cores, you need a K version. Non-K versions can only overclock to their fastest (+400MHz) speed on one core. My 2500K with a P67 board overclocks to 4.8GHz on all cores.

..and your second post:
What you're talking about isn't Turbo Boost, it's SpeedStep.

Turbo Boost is what makes your CPU overclock depending on how many cores are loaded. Turn that off and you lose your overclock if you have a non-K CPU.

SpeedStep is what down-clocks your CPU to 1.6GHz at idle.
First: Do you have the B3 version of the board? If not, you should to RMA it.

Second: Make sure you're using the newest UEFI/BIOS version for that board.

VCCSA is System Agent voltage, so it might be listed as that instead. If you still cannot find the listing in the BIOS, it might not be there at all. The Micro-ATX boards from ASUS were missing some of the overclocking options in the UEFI/BIOS from the beginning. They have added some through UEFI/BIOS updates, but they may not have added that one back.

I wouldn't count on getting 3.9GHz, as most P67 boards don't like to overclock the BCLK setting. I've had two, and neither one would even do 101MHz.

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yes I have the B3 revision of the board but I havn't updated the bios since I bought it, how do I update the bios (I'm a noob) :/.

PS. I was able to get 3.9 technically but when I put it in Prime95 it failed, since then I have backed it down to intel's spec, waiting for someone to coach me through it.

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Ok, I think if I follow that guide, and follow my manual for the bios update I'm golden thanks for the help by the way, I shouldn't have any problems but I'll send another reply if anything happens.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Is this really a i5 2400 CPU your OC'n? I was under the impression that the mulitipler was locked on this particular CPU.

I have built a i5 2400 system with an H67 M/BD which to my knowledge did not allow any changes to mulitiplier or BLCK.

Perhaps using a P67 M/BD may allow you to OC Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz and with a little BLCK OC get you a little higher OC but this would mean only 1 core is actually running @ that OC?

I also thought Turbo Boost only lasted for a short time. Like 1 mintue or less?

Apparently I have missed something and it would be mighty nice if you would enlighten me on that mighty nice OC you have. :)

Thanking you in advance,
arthurh

With BCLK at 104 on an i5-2400 with P67 board:
1 core = 3.952GHz
2 core = 3.848GHz
3 core = 3.744GHz
4 core = 3.640GHz

...all of which are better than the standard max one core Turbo of 3.4GHz.

Turbo Boost lasts as long as you stay within the CPU's thermal envelope. You would actually have to overheat Sandy Bridge to not have Turbo Boost available.

And H67 mainboards only allow GPU overclocking. You can't even raise the memory speed past 1333MHz.

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
to arthurh- I am surprised that so many think to overclock they must have the k version, eventhough non-k spec processors can reach 4ghz.

This being a i52400 it can only go as far as 3.999 but since I am new to this even following a guide when I enter the 105 range of baseclock I can't keep Prime95 stable. Other people have oc'd farther with the I52500 and it's just a non k version of the 2500k and can oc to 4.1.

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Oh, some food for thought, the turboboost can be turned off with sandy bridge, which then allows you to keep a constant oc. I chose not to do this because when I don't need 3.9 ghz or even 3.6, it can go down to 1.6.

zep:
To do a REAL overclock on all cores, you need a K version. Non-K versions can only overclock to their fastest (+400MHz) speed on one core. My 2500K with a P67 board overclocks to 4.8GHz on all cores.

..and your second post:
What you're talking about isn't Turbo Boost, it's SpeedStep.

Turbo Boost is what makes your CPU overclock depending on how many cores are loaded. Turn that off and you lose your overclock if you have a non-K CPU.

SpeedStep is what down-clocks your CPU to 1.6GHz at idle.

Solution

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
1. yeah I know that I'm not doing a "real" overclock, but its an overclock all the same.
2.On the turboboost: yeah I believe we are talking on the same page here, but what I meant to say is that, you can keep your processor from going down to a slower speed by a change in the bios.

lol, nothing like getting your vocab. wrong when trying to tell someone else an enteresting fact.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.