Question i5 2500 non K in 2019?

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Hi,

Is an i5 2500 non k paired with an rx 470 and 16gb ram still capable for gaming in 2019? target resolution is 1080p mixed medium and high settings.

games:

-witcher 3
-farcry 5
-acorigins possibly Odyssey

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2019
Hi,

Is an i5 2500 non k paired with an rx 470 and 16gb ram still capable for gaming in 2019? target resolution is 1080p mixed medium and high settings.

games:

-witcher 3
-farcry 5
-acorigins possibly Odyssey

Thanks.
You will struggle and mostly be in low settings to get playable FPS ranges with those games.
I needed to come here just to say this isn't in anyway true. Newtonius is more inaccurate I'm on a 2500 Optiplex 990 MT with 8gb of ram and 1060 mini 6gb. Not one game has a setting on low most on ultra to high.

Last edited:
I needed to come here just to say this isn't in anyway true. Newtonius is more inaccurate I'm on a 2500 Optiplex 990 MT with 8gb of ram and 1060 mini 6gb. Not one game has a setting on low most on ultra to high.

He's also talking about playing with a RX 470, with that low tier of a card and a low tier CPU he will struggle, at least with a stronger CPU he will utilize as much performance as he can. I gave a friend an i7 2600 when he has a low tier card, upgraded from an i3 2100 and he got a decent frame boost.

Of course CPU's won't make much a difference when it comes to FPS boosts in the first place, since that's all dependent on the graphics card, but constantly staying in low tier means you will need to upgrade AGAIN sooner rather than later.

At a resolution of 1080p and medium setting both CPU and GPU are important. Having say that an i5 4690 (which will require a diferent motherboard than the i5 2500) will be a better choice, but yeah low tier GPU and CPU will become bottleneck pretty fast in modern games.

As for FPS, Far Cry 5 will probably be worst than Witcher 3, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey will probably be the worst of all 3.

Then again, by adjusting and sacrificing some details level, you should be able to play most of those games, if not all, above 40 FPS avg. There will be high and low spikes here and there, and some stuttering, but is not imposible to run those games in a decent way.

Cheers

Oct 16, 2019
He's also talking about playing with a RX 470, with that low tier of a card and a low tier CPU he will struggle, at least with a stronger CPU he will utilize as much performance as he can. I gave a friend an i7 2600 when he has a low tier card, upgraded from an i3 2100 and he got a decent frame boost.

Of course CPU's won't make much a difference when it comes to FPS boosts in the first place, since that's all dependent on the graphics card, but constantly staying in low tier means you will need to upgrade AGAIN sooner rather than later.
I assumed an RX 470 8gb sorry guess that's still not up to what I have even if it is. I'd love to put that i7 in here at some point just wanted to kinda clarify the 2500 is a solid choice if someones got limited funds. Has been for me anyway was surprising every game I throw at it maybe I shouldn't have been.