i5 2500k 85 degrees celcius under load

Ach13

Reputable
May 21, 2014
I was wondering if someone could help me, I built a pc recently, with the following specs:-

-Corsair 650W PSU
-p8p67 Standard Mobo
-i5 2500k @ standard clock (with stock cooler)
-Radeon 6970 GPU
-6Gb Kingston Hyper X RAM

My problem is that I'm getting temperatures of 85 degrees Celsius under load, the stock cooler is definitely seated well, and I even replaced the thermal paste with Arctic silver to see if that would help.

I realised this is a big problem, so I also bought and installed a cooler master seidon 120v instead of the stock cooler, and I'm getting a little better temperatures, but not much (70 degrees under load).

Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Solution
1) I know the i5-2500K can get to 4.3GHz at 73degC using an H70 cooler. Considering your room temp you seem to be running hot.

2) Are you certain you applied the paste correctly? You don't want any gaps, but you don't want it too thick either. The general rule is about a 5mm diameter pea but it varies slightly.

3) Exhaust/Intake:
You should be having the Liquid Cooler as INTAKE as mentioned. Not only to force cooler air through the radiator, but also to blow more air towards the CPU voltage regulators.

In general the total air flow should be the same for Exhaust as for Intake. Not the same number of fans necessarily but the physical amount of air flow. So I'd have the FRONT, and probably the SIDE if possible as Exhaust since the...

Ach13

Reputable
May 21, 2014
I have a 120mm fan at the front of the case bringing cold air in, and a small fan on the side panel bringing cold air in also, the 120mm radiator and fan from the seidon 120v are on the back of the case exhausting air. I dont live in a hot country or anything either, with ambient temperature in my room of 18 degrees celcius

if that 85ºC is under load with prime thats fine dont worry about it

if it idles 60ºC+ then make sure you have installed the cooler correctly and perhaps replace the thermal paste

also take note those hsf's dont SCREW on - there push pins, they work every time as long as you use them correctly (most people dont)

Ach13

Reputable
May 21, 2014
Just ran intel burn test, 3 runs, standard load, and the max temp on the cpu socket was 76ºC and the max temp on one of the cores was 87ºC. That's with my seidon 120v, I really want to overclock the cpu, as it would be a waste not to, but I'm afraid the temperatures I get will be too high.

I'm not entirely familiar with water cooling, but I believe the radiator fan should be blowing air into the case. Cool air needs to pass over the radiator to keep the water cool. At the moment, the build-up of hot air inside the case is passing over the radiator and heating the water.

With that in mind, you're also better off changing the side fan to an exhaust, unless you have fan mounts at the top of your case.

1) I know the i5-2500K can get to 4.3GHz at 73degC using an H70 cooler. Considering your room temp you seem to be running hot.

2) Are you certain you applied the paste correctly? You don't want any gaps, but you don't want it too thick either. The general rule is about a 5mm diameter pea but it varies slightly.

3) Exhaust/Intake:
You should be having the Liquid Cooler as INTAKE as mentioned. Not only to force cooler air through the radiator, but also to blow more air towards the CPU voltage regulators.

In general the total air flow should be the same for Exhaust as for Intake. Not the same number of fans necessarily but the physical amount of air flow. So I'd have the FRONT, and probably the SIDE if possible as Exhaust since the case/PSU fans spin slower but there are more of them.

Solution

Ach13

Reputable
May 21, 2014
Thank you all for your time, i made the changes suggested by photonboy, regarding intake and output of air through the case, now my max temp under load is 63ºC, so i have some overhead for overclocking. Thanks!